Overlord

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Overlord

Post by Leisher »

This is getting good buzz.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Overlord (2018)

Post by GORDON »

A JJ Abrams flick about an American paratrooper squad on D-Day tasked with taking out a radio tower, installed over an old french church. But then they find fucked up nazi super-science shit happening in the basement.

It was "ok." It was kind of slow paced, took a long time to get to the point, and spent time introducing a bunch of characters that were going to die off early, with no real payoff. It had an amazing similarity to another movie I reviewed on this site a few years back, that ten minutes of searching could not find.

That's all the knowledge I had, going in. If you don't want some minor spoilers, stop reading now.

Anyway, I think that other movie was called "Frankenstein's Army." It was a movie on Netflix about a Soviet Squad in WW2 that stumble upon a german church, and find nazi super-science shit happening inside. The movie got spoilered right in the title, it should have been a big shock when one of the soldiers is searching the scientist's office and finds "Frankenstein's" journals. But, as I said, that big reveal was spoiled right in the title.

Anyway, I remember the monsters in FA to be the best part of the movie. They were weird and over the top crazy, like machine gun turrets and shit spliced onto german soldiers.

Overlord had nothing so imaginative. Just, basically, strong zombies.

I kept waiting for the Frankenstein reveal... and there's even a character it would have fit... but it never came. After giving it some though, I wonder if Universal wouldn't give JJ permission to use the name. THAT would make perfect sense, since he ripped off that other movie, completely, in every other way.

A couple historical errors, like a 50-star flag, and black people integrated into the 101st Airborne. I KNOW the flag was wrong, but American troops didn't start integrating until the Korean War, no? I want to say Marine units were the first to do so.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Overlord

Post by Leisher »

Regarding Gordon's review: Yep.

The black guy being in it bugged me a lot because of the historical inaccuracy. The forced diversity hurt my immersion. They could have just made the entire company black and it would have been fine. Or make him a survivor of a black company.

Everyone's acting was fine and the effects were ok, but as Gordon said that's the perfect review of the movie: "ok"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Overlord

Post by Cakedaddy »

Saw this on Prime.

Not too bad. Very intense opening scenes with typical D-Day insanity. Had to keep reminding myself it wasn't another WWII movie. Things that stood out: Black guys integrated with white guys. That was NOT done during WWII. Black sergeant in charge of white troops? Yay diversity ruining what otherwise seemed like a very realistic representation of paratroop landings in France. Very intense. The horror aspect of the film didn't show up till almost half way through, which was ok, because it was otherwise a pretty good WWII movie. Then when the horror started, you forgot about the war and were in monster movie mode. Where I think it did pretty ok as well. I never really saw many "Oh, come on" moments where the main characters start doing really dumb illogical stuff which is, I think, mandatory in horror films. I've seen other WWII set monster movies, and they war part was VERY lacking. Other than uniforms, there's no WWII in them. They were always just some far fetch plot thing someone made up and almost as an after thought "Hey, let's make it during WWII too!". Not this one.

Over all, it was one of the better horror movies I've seen. Given the amount of suspension of disbelief that is normally required to watch them, they never really grab me. I'll watch them just to see them and hope to be entertained. This one had my attention throughout and I never felt like I had to force myself to continue watching regardless of the dumb stuff that might be happening in a normal horror movie. Because there wasn't any of that. Both halves of the movie held their own very well.

For the genre, this was pretty good. Especially since they covered both WWII and monsters very well.
GORDON
Site Admin

Overlord (2018)

Post by GORDON »

bump
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Overlord (2018)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: bump
You caused this issue by not searching originally...

I will merge the threads.