Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This looks good.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This wasn't bad.

More serious than I expected, but still had some funny moments.

The songs were a mixed bag, and only one I still remember.

LOTS of blood, gore, and cursing.

The story will not go the way you expect. I'm guessing that and the lack of real hit songs are why this one flew under the radar. Also, the villain is a bit over the top.

Still, everything else is solid, and Ella Hunt shines despite looking a bit like young Katie Holmes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I watched it based on a recent facebook recommendation from Stuart.

I don't trust his recommendations any more.

It should have been mentioned that this is a straight musical. When the second song was ending, I told my kid, "If nothing apocalyptical happens before the third song, let's be done." He agreed.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I figured it was pretty obvious this was a musical.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hadn't watched the trailer probably since it came out, it wasn't in my brain it was a musical.

Which, I don't mind, generally. But I wasn't ready for it. And this one was generally about teen angst.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Spoilers from here on out.

Would you say this movie was really mean spirited, even considering it's a zombie apocalypse? Not only do all of her family and friends die, but her best friend who was in love with her dies in front of her in a noble, painful sacrifice, and she honors his memory by the douchebag jock that tormented him actually gets her and didn't do a single thing to redeem himself the entire movie. And the girl who felt neglected by her parents never got any closure. The loving couple died together.

In that sense, this movie did actually bring something new to the table. And, they were clever enough to foreshadow it with "There's no such thing as a Hollywood ending" song.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, that's why I enjoyed it. It was definitely not a happy movie despite being a musical and having some comedy.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Also another "humans are the real monsters" story.