My Hero Academia

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by Leisher »

Yay Hulu!

Got put on this series by a friend who isn't a typical anime fan, so it carries more weight.

First two seasons have dubbed versions. They must still be working on season 3's dubbing.

Long story short: This is the anime version of the Charles Xavier Academy.

80% of people are now born with quirks (mutant powers). The best quirks get you the ability to join the Hero Academy to become a professional hero. Heroes need licenses and are broken down into various roles like crime fighters, support people, etc. Unfortunately for one kid who REALLY wants to be a hero and studies them like crazy, he did not get a quirk. However, he's fucking relentless and a hero at his core, so he still ends up at the school.

The whole series plays out like it's for kids, but then the little perverted guy grabs a tit or talks about trying to look up skirts and you're thinking "Who is this for?" The themes are pretty adult too. A kid could absolutely watch this and be entertained and inspired, but as an adult you'd wince maybe once every 3-4 episodes about some pervy comment or action. Most would go over a kid's head though. The heavier themes are beaten until there's nothing subtle about them, which would be good for a kid, but they are pretty deep. One hero has a scared face because his abused mother, one of several "slaves" (best word possible), couldn't stand the sight of him as he reminded her of his father.

The animation is typical anime so expect exaggerated features. Props to them for Nightmare's tits, which are crazy realistic to her body and character. I know, that seems silly and no she doesn't get topless, but when you see them you'll know what I mean.

The most annoying thing about Japanese anime though? The fucking credits. Every episode opens with a long song over credits and they all close the same way. Sometimes there are scenes before the credits, sometimes not. Sometimes there are scenes after the credits, sometimes not. It's very annoying.

Fun show, but I kept hearing about something big in S2 and while a story line did play out, it'd didn't play out in a way that made me think "Holy Shit!". It was just entertaining. In fact, S2 reminded me a LOT of Yu Yu Hakusho, which was an excellent anime series. (I'm now thinking that I really need to go back and finish Cowboy Beebop.)

Gordon, I think you and your kid would like this series.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by Leisher »

Movie coming

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

My Hero Academia

Post by thibodeaux »

Fucking Weebs
GORDON
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by GORDON »

I've tried anime 2 or 3 times... I just cant seem to get to a point where I'm feelin it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by TheCatt »

Speed Racer was the peak of anime.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I just cant seem to get to a point where I'm feelin it.
Some suck balls.

There are bits of anime you need to get past, and if you do, there are some good stories.

Did you like Cowboy Bebop?
GORDON
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by GORDON »

Didn't watch
Leisher
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by Leisher »

Obviously Akira is probably the most famous anime.

You would probably enjoy Cowboy Bebop and One Punch Man.
GORDON
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by GORDON »

Didn't enjoy Akira, much. Good idea, bad side-stuff.

I'm like 4 episodes into One Punch Man... as I have been for about a year.

Devilman Crybaby... kinda sucked.

I did enjoy Spirited Away.
Leisher
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by Leisher »

I'm not into all anime, but when I hear about one that's good, I'll try it.

Sometimes I can't follow the story because it'll be some crazy metaphors that only really work for Japanese audiences. Sometimes their insistence upon using kids or drawing adults as kids, and then the characters acting that way is annoying. However, if you get past that shit, there are really good stories with pretty deep themes.

My number one annoyance with the TV anime shows is recaps and credits scenes. What a colossal waste of time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

My Hero Academia

Post by TheCatt »

I'm going to put this here, because it had the word anime in it.

It's not me, it's someone else.