Pan's Labyrinth

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How is it I never heard this movie is in Spanish?

I liked it, though.

We can make a spoiler discussion thread if peeps want. There's obviously a huge spoiler to discuss.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, the Best Foreign Language Film of the Year nomination may have been a tip-off. :)

But yeah, I don't remember hearing anyone talk in the movie ads/promos that I remember.
It's not me, it's someone else.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

GORDON wrote:There's obviously a huge spoiler to discuss.
Pan's a dude? :D
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:Well, the Best Foreign Language Film of the Year nomination may have been a tip-off. :)
See, and I HEARD it won awards, and the DVD box said "Winner of 3 Academy Awards!" But the box didn't specify which awards it won, and before the flick me and my friend were wondering which awards it won.

I paused the movie trying to find the english language version... then I read the box that had "Spanish/English subtitles" down in the fine print, then I wondered if Best Buy had displayed a shipment that was actually meant for Mexico and shipped to Ohio by mistake.

So shit. The is the first big movie where I never knew it was foreign language.
Leisher
Site Admin

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Leisher »

A young girl is traveling with her pregnant mother to their new home. The mom has a new husband who is a captain during the Spanish Civil War. The captain is a complete monster of a human being, and the mom is just trying to give her children a chance. Meanwhile, the girl is introduced to the idea that she may be something more.

Beautiful film with some very heavy themes. It's truly a fairy tale on film. There's love, drama, horror, magic, and tragedy. It comes off like two films in one. You have the girl's story as one film, and then the drama of the war, the captain, and those in the home as another film.

While I'd like to say the fairy tale aspect would appeal to kids, the themes established, particularly at the end, might be way too heavy and even give the wrong idea. The story line grounded in the war shows off some of the worst elements of human nature.

The whole movie is really stolen by the girl and the captain. Both are excellent in their roles, but the captain I won't soon forget. Such a well written villain.

Recommended, but be warned that there are subtitles as this is a Spanish film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by GORDON »

Bump!
Leisher
Site Admin

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Leisher »

I searched for "Pan's" and "Labyrinth" and neither found this thread. This must be one of the early ones that the searches won't find.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by GORDON »

yup. I searched "spanish" because I remember the first post, not knowing the language.
thibodeaux

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by thibodeaux »

Is somebody on a Del Toro binge?
thibodeaux

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by thibodeaux »

bc Hobbit
Leisher
Site Admin

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Leisher »

That never occurred to me, but now I get the pale orc.