Avengers - Infinity War *spoilers* SPOILERS

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It was good.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It was good.
Well, fuck, now I'm spoiled.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Pro tip: don't go.to this movie with your STBXW and let her start a post-divorce money discussion on the drive to the theater. It will ruin the movie.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Pro tip: Don't go to ANY movie with your STBXW (fullstop)
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That was intense. Probably the best since the first Avengers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Me and the the kid hitting a second viewing in an hour.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So how similar is this to the comic universe(s)?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The deaths were powerful, but I can only imagine they are temporary. Which kinda defeats the heaviness. and point.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, when you know which characters are on the movie release schedule through 2020.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

OMG.

"The Defenders," on the heels of "Iron Fist," killed Netflix Marvel shows, for me.

Especially since it doesn't seem they will ever be acknowledged in a movie, so fuck it, why bother.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "The Defenders," on the heels of "Iron Fist," killed Netflix Marvel shows, for me.
Haven't seen Defenders. Is it that bad?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Not great. But told me these shows were no longer worth my time.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Especially since it doesn't seem they will ever be acknowledged in a movie, so fuck it, why bother.
One of the reasons we bailed on Agents of SHIELD. The half assed integrated universe is almost as bad as having zero integration.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

SHIELD at least tried... events in the movies directly affected episodes. And A2 basically had show actors on-screen, just in the helicarrier.

The Netflix shows barely acknowledge the films, and the films acknowledge the shows not at all.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That was intense. Probably the best since the first Avengers.
Not sure I'd say it's the best Marvel movie yet, because Winter Soldier was fucking tight, but it's up there.
TheCatt wrote: So how similar is this to the comic universe(s)?
Eh... Thanos does win at one point doing basically what he did here, but his motives are different. I'm not sure his motives here make him a bad guy. I'm not kidding.

In the books, he's in love with Death, a woman in the Marvel universe, and his killing people is to get her attention.
TheCatt wrote: The deaths were powerful, but I can only imagine they are temporary. Which kinda defeats the heaviness. and point.
I mean, that's story telling. It's like the Solo trailer that ends with the cliffhanger of Chewie about to be killed. We know, for a fact, he doesn't die, so where's the drama?
GORDON wrote: "The Defenders," on the heels of "Iron Fist," killed Netflix Marvel shows, for me.
Iron Fist sucked and never should have been made by the people involved. They ruined a great character. Ditto for the Defenders. There's simply no chemistry among the stars, at least, nothing they were given to showcase any chemistry.
Vince wrote: The half assed integrated universe is almost as bad as having zero integration.
Half assed because it's really expensive to get big name stars to appear in your TV shows.
GORDON wrote: SHIELD at least tried... events in the movies directly affected episodes. And A2 basically had show actors on-screen, just in the helicarrier.

The Netflix shows barely acknowledge the films, and the films acknowledge the shows not at all.
They did try, but the Inhumans bullshit ended that series for me, and apparently many others. Now that mutants are coming back, they might have a new chance of doing something interesting.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:Half assed because it's really expensive to get big name stars to appear in your TV shows.
True, but it costs next to nothing (comparatively) to have the small screen stars to pop up in small supporting roles in the movies. Or acknowledge their existence in those movies.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote:Half assed because it's really expensive to get big name stars to appear in your TV shows.
True, but it costs next to nothing (comparatively) to have the small screen stars to pop up in small supporting roles in the movies. Or acknowledge their existence in those movies.
In A2, Nick Fury says, "I had some friends help me out/here I am in the helicarrier." He meant Coulson and crew.

For some reason, they go out of their way to not mention the TV show characters in the movies. I don't know why. Agents of SHIELD absolutely acknowledges the events in the movies. They changed their entire TV show logo after Cap America 2 happened, and SHIELD fell.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:In A2, Nick Fury says, "I had some friends help me out/here I am in the helicarrier." He meant Coulson and crew.

For some reason, they go out of their way to not mention the TV show characters in the movies. I don't know why. Agents of SHIELD absolutely acknowledges the events in the movies. They changed their entire TV show logo after Cap America 2 happened, and SHIELD fell.
I remember that in A2. I was hoping that was going to signal both worlds existing in the same plane of existence but like you said, it's like they go out of their way to ensure the TV characters and shows are never acknowledged. That was one of the reasons I had no qualms about dropping SHIELD.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Vince wrote:
In A2, Nick Fury says, "I had some friends help me out/here I am in the helicarrier." He meant Coulson and crew.

Because it's better to punch up than down.

Also, Avengers sold > 76MM tickets in the US. Let's say the average person watched it twice, that's 38MM people. Versus 12MM for AoS, max. Probably over 200MM people for Infinity War (assuming international ticket are cheaper on average than $10 each)