Ready Player One (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Not going to open as big as they were hoping.

I'm excited to see this film, but not "run out for opening weekend" excited.

Are we at a point where Hollywood needs to start rethinking box office numbers because there are so many more options other than going to a theater? (Truthfully, they already have. For example: Kevin Smith's recent films all were profitable BEFORE hitting theaters. Keep your budget low and distribution will make your profits.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ready Player One

Post by TheCatt »

I'm not excited for the movie, because the book was NOT GOOD. It was a nostalgia fest, which was awesome, but the story was dumb.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ready Player One

Post by Leisher »

That's quite interesting because I am excited for the movie having NOT read the book.

You have lessened my excitement.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ready Player One

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That's quite interesting because I am excited for the movie having NOT read the book.

You have lessened my excitement.
Well, good, lowered expectations are easier to meet or beat :)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ready Player One

Post by TheCatt »

You know what? Add this to the tiny list of movies better than the books. In the hands of a competent story teller, this movie was better than the book. Obviously some of the nostalgia-fest had to be abandoned, and the ending could have been a little tighter (although, it kinda felt like Goonies to me in a way), but it was good. The movie was scored well, lots of recognizable pop culture stuff, and a bit less of Deux Ex Machina style moving the plot forward. The challenges are re-imagined to be more cinematic, for obvious reasons.

It's still not a great movie, but I was entertained.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ready Player One

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: It's still not a great movie, but I was entertained.
Ditto.
TheCatt wrote: and the ending could have been a little tighter (although, it kinda felt like Goonies to me in a way)
Ditto again.

It was fine. As Catt said, the story is pretty silly and by the numbers. Evil corporation vs oppressed populace led by diverse group of kids.

My favorite part was looking for pop culture references. Some are part of the story, some are hidden and must be noticed.
Vince

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Vince »

It was entertaining. I disagree that it was better than the book. To me it was the nostalgia that made the book so entertaining. Not sure how old Catt is, but I remember playing Adventure and finding the Easter egg in that game. Also, studying the old TSR D&D modules. That being said, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say the book was better than the movie, either. They were just different.

One of the things I noticed was the feminization of the story. Years back I read about how the writing of television dramas had shifted from the 70s and 80s to today. Whereas you used to have shows like The Rockford Files, Columbo and Magnum PI where the supporting cast drove the story for the main character, as women became a more important demographic group the story structure began to change. The dramas became more of a team or family type structure. Think all the CSI's and NCIS, etc. I noticed they did that with the team. Artemis wasn't introduced IRL until almost the end of the book. And I forget why Wade infiltrated the corporation in the book, but that was his line and was intentional. He was much more of a hacker type in the book. And the Asian pair were never met IRL in the book.

I regret they weren't able to get the epic giant robot fight in at the end.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Not sure how old Catt is, but I remember playing Adventure and finding the Easter egg in that game.
Old enough that all of the clues in the book were super easy to me :)
Vince wrote: To me it was the nostalgia that made the book so entertaining.
It did, absolutely. But I felt that was about all the book had going for it. So my emotional reaction to the book was stronger than the movie, but only because of nostalgia. Outside of that, I thought the story telling/development/dialogue/etc were pretty mediocre.
Vince

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: It did, absolutely. But I felt that was about all the book had going for it. So my emotional reaction to the book was stronger than the movie, but only because of nostalgia. Outside of that, I thought the story telling/development/dialogue/etc were pretty mediocre.
I agree. I think that's my issue with the movie. It was visually entertaining as a mindless action flick. That was what it had going for it. They removed the biggest selling point of the book.
Vince

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Vince »

Also, did anyone else recognize the spell being repeated to bring down the magical barrier at the end of the movie?
GORDON
Site Admin

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by GORDON »

refresh my memory
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Vince »

It was the charm of making from Excalibur.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: It was the charm of making from Excalibur.
I would not have remembered that. I haven't seen the movie in over a year and didn't remember the spell.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Leisher »

Excalibur is in the conversation for most underrated movie ever.
Vince

Ready Player One (2018)

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Excalibur is in the conversation for most underrated movie ever.
Absolutely. Every so often a new King Arthur / Camelot movie is released and they never compare in my mind. For me, because Le Morte d' Arthur is THE definitive King Arthur book. I had it on VHS and now on DVD and try to watch it once a year.