Her (2013)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Her (2013)

Post by Leisher »

This could be "Black Mirror: The Movie". If you like Black Mirror, this movie will appeal to you.

Written and directed by Spike Jonze.

Joaquin Phoenix is a guy going through a divorce. He's alone and depressed. That's when he discovers OS 1.

OS 1 is the world's first AI OS. It is customized to match Joaquin's personality, and he quickly bonds with it. It's name is Samantha and Scarlett Johansson provides her voice. On a personal note, ScarJo's voice is sexy as hell. I've noticed it before, but you can't help but focus on it here.

This movie is about relationships and love and technology. Perhaps the intention is to really be about relationships and love using the technology as a contrast, but this could become reality in the next 20-30 years. There are some powerful messages about relationships that are pretty beautiful, while also being sad in their honesty.

One thing that I found odd was the world, and mainly the fashion. Men wear hair and clothes like it's the 70s, but the rest of the world seems to be in the 2020s.

Amy Adams, without makeup and still gorgeous, plays a friend dealing with her own issues. Chris Pratt also shows up as a friend to offer another contrasting relationship. Many of the voices you hear are famous ones you know, but won't recognize unless you watch the credits.

If a movie can make me stop playing whatever game I'm playing, and pay attention to it, then it's doing something right. This movie achieved that for its entire 2 hour running time. Considering it's a character and dialogue driven film, that's saying something.

Great acting, great direction, great concept, and a movie that both spouses will enjoy and probably discuss.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”