Ingrid Goes West

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ingrid Goes West

Post by Leisher »

Aubrey Plaza is Ingrid, a woman with issues and whose entire life is a lie. After a major event in her life she moves West and attempts to befriend Elizabeth Olsen.

This movie has big ratings on IMDB and RT. Most reviews talk about how powerful the film is and how it addresses many of today's issues. I guess?

This is a character driven movie. IE: Lots of talking.

Listen, the acting is great. Nobody phones it in, and you genuinely root for who you're supposed to root for and hate who you're supposed to hate. However, the entire movie is awkward viewing. What's that? You know those scenes where a character does something so stupid and/or socially awful that it can cause you, the viewer, distress and anxiety to watch it play out? That's awkward viewing and it's the majority of this film.

Additionally, I'm torn on the ending. I don't think I like the message. I won't spoil things, but it could be argued that the message at the end is extremely dangerous and irresponsible.

The rest of the film's message is on point. It attacks our youth's reliance upon social media for status, and calls it out for being complete bullshit. It also has a strong message about mental health issues. I'd argue this film is a powerful statement about the mass shootings in America even though I can assure you nobody who made the film is aware of that.

I'd almost say this would be a great film to show kids despite the language, but again, that final scene...

I get the high ratings and I was entertained, but awkward viewing and the terrible mixed message in the final scene makes me hesitate about recommending it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”