Get a Job

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Get a Job

Post by Leisher »

Miles Teller, Anna Kendrick, Bryan Cranston, Alison Brie, and a bunch of other faces you'll recognize in an ensemble comedy that has a 5% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Personally, I think it deserves a 20%. I'm guessing this is one of those ensemble films thrown together to help folks fulfill the final film of a multi film contract. Either that or it was someone's pet project that everyone knew sucked, but nobody could tell the executive driving it.

This is a movie that's about millennials getting jobs and what their generation faces. I'm guessing the writers are millennials themselves because this is the first writing credit for both. Additionally, one has no other IMDB credits and the other has 3 in sound and "miscellaneous". They make some really good points about millennials (basically pointing out some of the terrible parenting trends like "everyone is a winner" and how millennials have no social awareness), but there are other moments that display their lack of experience. Anna Kendrick saying, "I'm 22 and I have no idea what I want to do with my life." and we're supposed to treat that as a serious moment is hilarious.

Anyway, Teller lives with four other guys, all of whom are trying to get jobs and go forward with their lives. He's also dating Kendrick. Cranston is his dad and busted his ass to get the success he's found. Teller goes to work at some agency that makes resume videos for people looking for work. They charge $30,000 for this service. $30,000 from people who are unemployed? Hell of a business model, and representative of how out of touch the writers are...

It's not that the movie is horrible, it's just that everything is so shallow. So many details are missing. So many story lines are rushed or summed up in a 20 second scene. Nobody's character gets fleshed out. They're all two dimensional. They even got Kendrick in lingerie in one scene, and somehow botched that. (They cover her with a button down shirt that's barely see through. I can only assume the costume designer has self esteem issues. You don't wear a "traditional sexy outfit" over another. They cancel each other out. Pick one, but not both.)

Skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”