Captain Marvel (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

For what it's worth, my XD theater was about 80% full on a Saturday afternoon.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Captain Marvel

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: For what it's worth, my XD theater was about 80% full on a Saturday afternoon.
I haven't seen a movie on opening weekend in some years. Is that abnormal for a big Marvel release?

I also think the second weekend will be the one that counts. How many repeat viewings. How much word of mouth. That sort of thing.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Is that abnormal for a big Marvel release?
Not crazy abnormal, but when we saw the Avengers on opening night, the theater was wall to wall peeps.

I doubt the conspiracy theory, mainly because of the female aspect of it. It definitely is the right time for this type of movie. Ask Wonder Woman. That being said, there were a LOT of reports of empty theaters. Captain Marvel certainly didn't generate the excitement that other Marvel movies did.

The theater Gordon visited has more expensive tickets and is the biggest in the area, so 80% there might indicate that the "normal" theaters were full. Of course, it could also mean everyone who wanted to see it opening night were in the theater with Gordo.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

Ok, so here's my take on the symbolism I'm the movie...consider these spoilers.

Woman has an inner power and strength.

She is taken by a higher power, and a white man tells her that her emotions are out of control, make her weak, and says if she cant control herself she will be punished.

She still thrives within that framework, in spite of the constant criticism.

But when she is separated from the patriarchy that keeps her oppressed, she begins to understand her inner woman strength, and learns to stand on her own. She may or may not be a lesbian, at this.point.

Once she realizes her power, she takes off.the.metaphorical shackles that kept her weak. Then she realizes she is stronger than those who.kept her down, and chastises them.

That about cover it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

Rewatched it. Still struck by all of the "here's what women hate about what men think" imagery.

- Dude tells her to smile, so he must be punished. But I know women get triggered by that, any more.
- Different dude tells her to not get emotional. One assumes women hate to be told this. One also assumes that... it must be good to lose control and get emotional, in crisis situation? I don't know. But if so, I disagree.
- She swiss cheeses massive battleships with great ease, and must have a body count in the tens of thousands. Just saying.

I'm sort of surprised she didn't kill a man for manspreading, on the train.
Leisher
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by Leisher »

Finally saw it. It was fine (I guess) for what it was, but not amazing. Larson's charm is pretty powerful, but then you remember how ignorant she is in real life and that hurts the film.

I didn't care for what they did with the Skrulls, but I'm pretty sure that was a story from the source material, so whatever. I just think the MCU would be better off if their status quo for the first 50 years of their existence in the Marvel Universe was the status quo here. (That was written as spoiler free as possible.)

I didn't like that Fury was written as comic relief. Fury in the books is a bad ass warrior who was in control of every situation and had plans A through Z always ready to go. This Fury was almost special needs. The way Fury was written was easily the worst part of the film.

I agree with Gordon that men were intentionally written as weak or holding back women. I'll take it further too: Only Agent Colson (sp?) was a "good" white guy. Take that for what you will. I'm FOR female empowerment, but when you empower yourself by pushing others down...that's not the message that needs to be sent.

What was the main baddie's mission anyway? What was his purpose? Why did he have moments of "good", like when he tried to stop what's his face from destroying a planet?

And why were the Kree and Skrulls at war? That was never really explained, was it?

Overall, this would be towards the bottom of the "best Marvel movies" list, imho.
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

The more I see of Brie Larson in other things, the more I think she is a terrible actress.
Leisher
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: The more I see of Brie Larson in other things, the more I think she is a terrible actress.
She was awesome on The League.

Of course, she was playing an entitled whore...
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

She's one of three women on my radar for not being able to act, and has the same facial expression in everything she does:

1. Brie
2. Kristin Stewert
3. Cara Delevingne
thibodeaux

Captain Marvel

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:
3. Cara Delevingne
I was like, "who?" and I googled her and good grief she needs to pluck her eyebrows.
GORDON
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by GORDON »

I first became aware of her in Valerian. Her continued employment as an actor makes sense, in light of the Weinstein/everybody fucks to get ahead in Hollywood Revelations.
Vince

Captain Marvel

Post by Vince »

thibodeaux wrote:
GORDON wrote:
3. Cara Delevingne
I was like, "who?" and I googled her and good grief she needs to pluck her eyebrows.
She looks like that girl with the archvillian sized head that was tried for talking her boyfriend into suicide.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:
GORDON wrote:
3. Cara Delevingne
She looks like that girl with the archvillian sized head that was tried for talking her boyfriend into suicide.
Michelle Carter? (had to google that)

They both have some Emma Watson going on...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Captain Marvel

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Michelle Carter? (had to google that)

They both have some Emma Watson going on...
That's the one.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Captain Marvel

Post by Cakedaddy »

Just saw it. Her SJW agenda was on my mind the whole time and wondered how much of it influenced the story. Trying to be neutral about it, pretending she isn't who she is. . .

I figured her character was created to appease the argument that there were no strong women super heroes. So, I really feel like I need to reserve judgement until I knew more about the source material. How close to the comics were they?

So, assuming they pulled her story exactly from the comics. Society telling her she's weak, get bitten by a spid. . . I mean, gets zapped by a super power and becomes a super hero. She goes on an adventure to save the day. Then, it wasn't bad. I don't need to know why the Kree and Krull were at war. I mean, people war. It's not like I was sitting there saying "Come on. . . people don't war! Where's this coming from!?" The comic stuff with Fury didn't bother me when I watched it. It reminded my of the new funny Thor. However, not knowing the original source material, I'm not attached to a super bad ass Fury. Sure, that's what he's been in all the other movies. But I saw him as younger and perhaps not as jaded yet. Hell, he didn't even know there were aliens yet. Had I read the comics, it might bother me more. I didn't read too much into the men holding women back thing. I mean, we DID/DO do that, so. The "Smile for me" thing I'm sure was thrown in there for SJW reasons. But at the same time, guys DO do that, so. I don't feel it's forced into the story. And sure, a woman would punish him if she could. Not gonna judge that. Who was the main baddie? Jude? Jude's holographic boss? Here's what women hate. . . I have to wonder how much of that would be in G.I. Jane if you rewatched it. I mean, men can be pigs. Putting it in a movie doesn't make the movie preachy, in my opinion. I'm more sensitive to all of the examples in this movie cause she's a psycho in real life. My first thought was, "She much HATE that a man is teaching her how to use her powers". But then figured "She'll eventually over power him and beat him at some point". So, there was SJW stuff in the movie, but I assume it was in the source material as well, and so not really out of place in the movie.

All that being said, she ruined the movie. It was hard to watch with all of that hovering around in my head to the point where I couldn't just watch and enjoy the movie for what it was. If I didn't know anything about anything, I probably would have enjoyed the movie much more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: How close to the comics were they?
I really don't know because I think they "re-invented" her sometime in the 2000s.

Originally, she was the person Rogue, from the X-Men, touched to steal all of her powers such as flight, invulnerability, and super strength. Notice I didn't say "energy based powers".
Cakedaddy

Captain Marvel

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was Mar Vell in the comics?

So, I looked it up. Mar Vell was Captain Marvel, and was a man.

So really, the movie just changed everything? I didn't read anything about her being able to touch to steal powers. It was. . . some other comic book stuff with Negaverse bands or some shit like that. My source is Wikipedia.
Cakedaddy

Captain Marvel

Post by Cakedaddy »

Oh. . . and there was a Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel. The way the story has been marketed, I thought Brie was Captain Marvel. I didn't read all about her, so I don't know how much they changed. But, in the 70's, she WAS a SJW in that she was fighting for equal pay for equal work.