Jumanji 2

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by GORDON »

Wanted to do something with the kid today, and we'd already seen star wars twice.

This was better than I thought it would be. Movie was competently made, and I didn't notice any logic holes in the rules they set up. The in-game actors all mostly did a good job playing their teen controllers, in the fish-out-of-water situation. Some interesting choices, such as making the high school girl being enamored of her new penis.

So.... not a complete waste of time.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Jumanji 2

Post by thibodeaux »

My brother and I took the "next generation" to see this. His 7-yo said: "it was stupid but in a kind of funny way." There were a few too many dick jokes for a 7-yo, but there were even younger kids there, smh.

Anyway: I never saw the original (was there a sequel? don't even know). This one was, indeed stupid but I concur with Gordon: not a complete waste of time. Got a few chuckles. I thought the "bazaar" scene had too much forced diversity.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by TheCatt »

I loved the original. Yeah, I know most people don't. It just worked for me. Saw it 3x in the theatres.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by Leisher »

I was not a fan of the original, but enjoyed this one.

Definitely some humor that was a bit too mature for the family audience. But this is Hollywood where kids get raped and nobody cares, so...

Jack Black was damn brilliant. He never left character in his mannerisms, which were that of a teenage girl.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by TheCatt »

I loved the original. Saw it multiple times when it was at the dollar theatre back in the day. It was one of those movies that required the big screen.

Still unsure if my kids are ready for this one based on what I've heard.
GORDON
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by GORDON »

If your kids are fine with the basic fact that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina, it's fine. They aren't showing them or anything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If your kids are fine with the basic fact that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina, it's fine. They aren't showing them or anything.
That sounds way too gender normative for us.
GORDON
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by GORDON »

Just as a general framework.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Just as a general framework.
I'd like my kids to be free to pick their own (or none) gender at the appropriate time without such inappropriate cultural biases.
GORDON
Site Admin

Jumanji 2

Post by GORDON »

Bless your heart.