Star Wars VIII: Last Jedi **SPOILERS**

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So... Poe really got a bunch of people killed... twice.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Overall, I liked it, but the tone was off for Star Wars.

Also, what's the point? Good/bad, light/dark, it all balances - so who gives a fuck?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Totally agree.

Poe came off REALLY bad in this film.

I also hated everything with Luke. 7 films setting him up as the one to fulfill a prophecy, and fizzle... Now this is where they could self-correct in the next movie. We don't know what it meant at the end when he disappeared. He could be the key to winning in the next movie. I just hope he's not one of the lame ass force ghosts.

Oh, and Jedi can now control the weather and create holograms of themselves... WTF?

They could have really done some cool things, but Luke showing up was anti-climatic, then it was awesome for a second, then was REALLY anti-climatic.

Speaking of anti-climatic...Snoke... Talk about much ado about nothing. Plus, in his big death speech everything he said and the actions on screen were complete contradictions.

Also anti-climatic was the big reveal of Rey's parents, BUT I didn't hate that. I thought it played out well.

Oh! Another anti-climatic scene was Captain Phasma's fate. Boba Fett part 2.

Looks like they're going to pair Finn up with Rose and Roe with Rey...romantically.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

I thought it sucked.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I spent half of the car ride home railing about how dumb those bombers were. The rebellion might have had more than three ships and 400 people if they had shifted resources to a more worthy design.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

We had to leave before the end: we left when it is revealed Luke was creating a hologram of himself, and they cut back to the island and he is levitating over the rock or whatever. What'd I miss after that? I know Luke "disappears," but anything else important? No way am I paying more $$ to watch the end. kthx
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That was pretty much the end. There was a scene of a kid, one of the imprisoned ones from the gambling planet, iirc, and many people think he did a force pull, indicating the force welling up in another kid
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: I spent half of the car ride home railing about how dumb those bombers were. The rebellion might have had more than three ships and 400 people if they had shifted resources to a more worthy design.
In the games the bombers always kind of sucked... they need a ton of cover to survive a bombing run. I sort of liked the bombers in this movie, they were big and lumbering and were actually full of bombs. Y-Wings and TIE Bombers get, like, 8 bombs. And Poe admittedly pulled a suicide run which just barely succeeded. His commanders were correct to order him home. They had nothing left after they took out the Dreadnought.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Also the blue milk scene was fucking stupid. It's like they're just trying to be Robot Chicken.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Also the blue milk scene was fucking stupid. It's like they're just trying to be Robot Chicken.
I didn't get that either.

Of course, I also don't understand why people have to fly these ships at all.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I get WHY they put it in there. You know, the blue milk that Aunt Beru serves up. Hahah. It's fan service.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Weird that they liked the artisinal, organic blue milk imported from another planet, when they were poor farmers on Tattoine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Weird that they liked the artisinal, organic blue milk imported from another planet, when they were poor farmers on Tattoine.
Those weren't banthas. They milked banthas on Tattoine. That, and the milk was a different color.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The more I think about the movie, the more disappointed I get.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Laser Swords."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The more I think about the movie, the more disappointed I get.
Aaugh. I was literally thinking this exact same thought when I put my kids to bed.

My youngest said it was the best movie ever, though, so maybe we're just old and jaded.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm going to catch a matinee Wednesday, I think. The kid's first day of Christmas Break.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

12 questions after seeing The Last Jedi.

That was Luke's death...

At this point, disappointment is starting to move towards anger. They botched the shit out of this movie. How do you kill Skywalker? The ENTIRE FUCKING SERIES was about that family and now for the final movie it's not? I don't even give a fuck if they ever even make it at this point.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

At some point there was a line, "We need to let what's old, die," or something like that. I kind of like it if they are getting away from Skywalkers. We had a transition period, now let's move forward.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: At some point there was a line, "We need to let what's old, die," or something like that. I kind of like it if they are getting away from Skywalkers. We had a transition period, now let's move forward.
That line was uttered multiple times and it sucked. It was the most unsubtle way of explaining what they were doing.

Here's the problem with that logic:
1. You have 7 stories leading up to this one all revolving around the Skywalkers and the prophecy of bringing balance to the force.
2. There is one film left in this story. ONE. It has already been announced that the next trilogy will be set elsewhere with an entirely new cast of characters.

So you just effectively killed off all of your characters and links to the previous 7 films with one to go. That's unbelievably shitty story telling. It's also bad business as they, literally, just took a steaming shit on everything we all knew to be true about Star Wars.

(I would bet you anything that if Rian Johnson knew BEFORE he wrote and filmed this that there was only one movie left, it'd be a completely different movie.)

It's stunning that this film was made. Disney is doing to Star Wars what WB has done with DC, they're letting the inmates run the asylum.

I loved it when Disney bought Star Wars and jettisoned Lucas. Now I know that was a huge mistake.

But I'm sure the 10 people left in the Resistance will easily crush the Empire in one film despite apparently not doing shit the previous 7 films.