Star Wars VIII: Last Jedi **SPOILERS**

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: But I'm sure the 10 people left in the Resistance will easily crush the Empire in one film despite apparently not doing shit the previous 7 films.
Light balances dark, nothing matters, the resistance will rise up, blah blah blah.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Also, changing the Jedi powers is sloppy shit. Now anyone can look back at the previous films and think, "Well, why didn't they just do this..."

Now that the Jedi and Sith can read minds perfectly, how did Darth or the Emperor not know about Luke and Leia?

Where the fuck was Snoke when the Emperor was in charge? Aren't there only supposed to be two Sith at a time? How'd he get all this power so quickly? Has there ever been a bigger dud in film history than Snoke?

The only way to fix this mess is if Luke's not dead.

Hell, they could bring back Snoke too. Just say that he made Kylo think he killed him, but it was just a projection like what Luke did.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

I maintain that they killed Han in the most trite way possible in the last movie. Han deserved better. Luke deserved better (from what I've been reading). Hell, even Snoke deserved better.

Leisher, I saw someone else comment that this was actually making them miss Lucas.

Lucas did a poor job of telling good stories. I think Lucas Films without him has flipped that script.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Lucas did a poor job of telling good stories. I think Lucas Films without him has flipped that script.
This.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hey, if Rey's parents were junkers buried on Jakku, why'd we see a scene where they leave her on Jakku and fly off into space?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Hey, if Rey's parents were junkers buried on Jakku, why'd we see a scene where they leave her on Jakku and fly off into space?
Coping mechanism? False memories?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Good answers. Unfortunately, the truth is having multiple writers and no agreed upon direction.

Again, look to within your own fucking company! Marvel movies are tight because they have one person overseeing the overall story line.

This is not a difficult thing to get right.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

To be fair, though, these are new stories, whereas most of the Marvel stuff is reformulated comic book stories, no?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Also, changing the Jedi powers is sloppy shit.
Vader could force choke peeps over the phone. Projecting the magic power over space is already established.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: To be fair, though, these are new stories, whereas most of the Marvel stuff is reformulated comic book stories, no?
Eh...yes and no.

Both are using established characters, although SW is creating new characters in their final chapter for some reason.

Both are based on lore we know. The "newness" of either could be debated both ways.
GORDON wrote: Vader could force choke peeps over the phone. Projecting the magic power over space is already established.
I have no issue with that. However...

Let's talk about the plot and logic holes these new powers brought in.

1. A force ghost destroyed a tree by controlling the weather. No force ghost had previously been able to interact with the real world. So can Jedi now control the weather? That would have been handy on Tattooine. It also would have been nice if Ben and Yoda had jumped in and lent a hand at the end of Return...

2. All Jedi can sense emotions, that is an established power. This time they took it farther. Snoke could straight up read minds. He was the Jedi Miss Cleo. He claimed he knew Kylo's every thought, yet he somehow couldn't sense intent...you know, the very power that even no training Rey could use...

3. Snoke could mind link people without them knowing. Another power that would have been useful in previous films. Poor Vader had to walk all the way to his little room to take calls from the Emperor. He couldn't even force talk to Luke when he was in orbit above Endor.

And don't say Snoke was more powerful than all of them until you explain how his existence got around the "only two Sith at a time rule".

4. Jedi hologram. This was insanely stupid, but cool at the same time. I like the concept, despite it never being used before by anyone, and again, it would have been insanely handy... However, his fucking X-Wing was right there. He could have gone in person and been alive.

It's honestly just piss poor writing.

"Crap, I've written myself into a corner here. Well, shit. Let me just invent a new power..."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: However, his fucking X-Wing was right there.
Under the water, where it had been for ostensibly decades, rotting away.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: 2. All Jedi can sense emotions, that is an established power. This time they took it farther. Snoke could straight up read minds. He was the Jedi Miss Cleo. He claimed he knew Kylo's every thought, yet he somehow couldn't sense intent...you know, the very power that even no training Rey could use...
Would have made A New Hope a short movie.

Imperial torture guy: Sir! We'll get the information out of the prin...
Vader: Got it!
Leisher wrote: 4. Jedi hologram. This was insanely stupid, but cool at the same time. I like the concept, despite it never being used before by anyone, and again, it would have been insanely handy... However, his fucking X-Wing was right there. He could have gone in person and been alive.
I saw someone comment that this would have been better had they gone sixth sense and had Luke as a force ghost from the beginning of the new trilogy with no one knowing.

It seems like Disney/Lucas Movies is so busy trying to start the next chapter of Star Wars stories, that they aren't really properly ending the existing arc.

I read that General Ackbar was killed off screen? Ackbar deserved better.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: I read that General Ackbar was killed off screen? Ackbar deserved better.
You haven't seen it, and you're in the spoiler thread?

Not really off screen. He just didn't get a personalized death.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Under the water, where it had been for ostensibly decades, rotting away.
New Jedi powers could have had it wrapped in a force bubble or magically repair it. It didn't suffer damage under the swamp on Dagobah...
Vince wrote: I read that General Ackbar was killed off screen? Ackbar deserved better.
GORDON wrote: Not really off screen. He just didn't get a personalized death.
Both are correct. He did die on screen, but it wasn't acknowledged until a throw away line later. And yes, it sucked for a pop culture icon to go that way.
Vince wrote: It seems like Disney/Lucas Movies is so busy trying to start the next chapter of Star Wars stories, that they aren't really properly ending the existing arc.
There is definitely truth to this for Rian Johnson or he's the biggest hack on the planet. I think he was wiping the slate clear, and then they changed plans on him. I'm going with that theory until I learn otherwise.

JJ can save the Skywalker Saga, and THIS film, in episode 9. He just has to make it all work. Luke's fate is easily overcome. He's the fucking man of prophecy (which is why ending his story line without that ending is a huge fuck you to the fans) and Jedi powers are all over the map now. He can show up in 9 and crush the Empire alone. What would be awesome is if he did so as something different than a Force ghost, but also different from a standard living being.

There's also one other way JJ can save the saga without Luke saving the day...Rey has to be a Skywalker.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It didn't suffer damage under the swamp on Dagobah...
That was a lot shorter time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I still wanted to see Luke force-pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit, crashing it on a planet. "Size matters not," after all. I thought they were going in that direction when he took the barrage of laser fire.

As for new powers, isn't it pretty well established that different Jedi can have different strengths? I'm pretty sure that's a thing in the Clone Wars cartoon, which is considered canon. Yoda's thing was knowledge, seeing over distance. Asoka had a lightsaber style with an inverted grip, which we saw Rey do in the movie and that was an awesome callback. It seems like people can be born with Force affinity, obviously, but it really only becomes powerful and focused with training and discipline, which is what the Jedi Academy was all about. Teaching peeps. Otherwise, they can mostly just float rocks.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: It didn't suffer damage under the swamp on Dagobah...
That was a lot shorter time.
And fresh water vs. salt. One presumes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Clone Wars cartoon, which is considered canon.
Is it? Serious question. I'm not sure what is and isn't canon at this point.
GORDON wrote: As for new powers, isn't it pretty well established that different Jedi can have different strengths?
I get what you're saying, but that really hasn't been the case. Through 7 films pretty much everyone's skill set has contained the same moves. Now in movie 8 we get all new skills from people we've seen before? It's sloppy. Really sloppy. Especially for a movie that was 2 and a half hours long.

This isn't just "Oh shit, the Emperor can shoot lightning from his finger tips!". This is "Snoke is basically Professor X, ghost Yoda is Storm, and Luke is a god."

Can we all just agree that they should have just filmed the Timothy Zahn books as the next steps in the trilogy? Admiral Thrawn would look at this "art" and decide we're not even worth conquering.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think I heard that all movies and TV are canon, and previous books are not.

The legend of Darth... whatever.... that was in the story told to Annikin by the emperor... he had the power to bring back the dead. That is officially a power that we never saw anyone else do.

And Qui Gon figured out how to Force Ghost, and passed it along, which explains why all former Jedi aren't force ghosts. So... there is precedent for Snoke being a unique mindfucker. And it could explain whatever rise to power that he had.