The VVitch

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

VVitch

Post by GORDON »

Yay! Amazon Prime.

A 1680-ish tale of a family who moves out into the wilderness, and the woes that befall their family... is it because of a witch, or no?

The movie was different, I'll give it that. The problem was that the speech was literally straight out of the 1600s, and that made it hard to understand at times, especially considering the actors often pronounced things with mushmouth. I understood, maybe, 40% of the dialogue. So..... yeah.

I should have turned subtitles on. I just thought of that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

The VVitch

Post by Troy »

Saw this last night on Netflix. It's a period piece horror movie set 17th century America. A Puritan family is kicked out of town, and forced to live out on the edges of civilization where bad things start to occur. A downright evil film. I found it scary, atmospheric, and excellent.

Film goes all in during the first 15 minutes. Some really messed up shit happens.

I was still thinking about the movie when I woke up this morning, which isn't usual.

The dialogue is all 17th century English, if you don't have an ear for weird accents, subtitles may be the way to go. "What doth though want?" has never been creepier. The score was not shabby either.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80037280

If someone else dips their toe in we can make a spoiler thread.
Leisher
Site Admin

The VVitch

Post by Leisher »

Is the double V intentional? Is that the actual title?

I'll check it out sometime this week.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

The VVitch

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Is the double V intentional? Is that the actual title?
In marketing and posters of the film they do it that way. I think it's just "The Witch" though when you search for it. The two VV's are cosmetic, maybe olde english style.
GORDON
Site Admin

VVitch

Post by GORDON »

Bump
Troy

VVitch

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Bump
Man, i searched the regular "Witch" and didn't find it. Then changed the title at the last second. Drat.
Troy

VVitch

Post by Troy »

Using your thread for spoilers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ind-871974

The goat in this movie apparently injured the dad actor who was an ironborn in Game of Thrones. Black Phillip sounds like a jerk just like the movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

The VVitch

Post by Leisher »

I didn't like it, but I did. It was indeed different. Knowing how they made the movie really helped my enjoyment immensely.
GORDON wrote: The problem was that the speech was literally straight out of the 1600s, and that made it hard to understand at times, especially considering the actors often pronounced things with mushmouth. I understood, maybe, 40% of the dialogue. So..... yeah.
If you stick around they reveal that all the dialogue was from actual transcripts and diaries from that time period. When I saw that I liked the movie more.

Ignorant people are fucking insane.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The VVitch

Post by GORDON »

Even so, they didn't enunciate. Maybe that improved the realism, but this is a movie. The audience shouldn't have to struggle to understand the dialogue pushing the plot forward.