Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Vince

Star Wars: Episode IX

Post by Vince »

Heh... looks like they're teeing 3PO up for a more emotional and meaningful demise than they gave Luke or Han.

That would be the perfect punctuation on this fiasco.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tracking has it as the lowest opening in the new trilogy.

Still a good opening, but nowhere near where it should be if it was run by competent people.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

How could they possibly know this?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What I was wondering. I had to look and see if I'd missed the opening.

I assume surveys, "Will you see the movie opening weekend?"

After Solo, peeps are wary. They'll wait for good or bad word-of-mouth.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: How could they possibly know this?
Advance ticket sales, for one
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I don’t plan to see it
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I do. But Rian Johnson's bullshit has tainted the excitement.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Unless I hear they completely retconned TLJ, I won't be seeing this in the theater or paying to see it at all.

When do new movies hit Plex?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Camera" versions, usually in a couple days, if requested. But those are hard to watch.

If there's a leak, sooner.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Unless I hear they completely retconned TLJ, I won't be seeing this in the theater or paying to see it at all.

When do new movies hit Plex?
Whenever they get released on Blu-ray and DVD. Usually about 4 months, but depends on the movie
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

59% on rotten tomatoes.

The one review I read said it was basically fan service. So... set expectations to low/medium.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've never much cared for the "fan service" insult.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I've never much cared for the "fan service" insult.
I don't see it as an insult, per se, more as an expectations setting in a simple phrase. Thought it's a mildly derogatory phrase, so I guess I contradict myself.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm like... isn't that the point of entertainment? Pleasing the fans? Not everything needs to be "art" with bummer endings where everyone dies.

I'm sure entire doctoral theses have been written on the subject, and I don't want to get into the philosophy of it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'm like... isn't that the point of entertainment? Pleasing the fans? Not everything needs to be "art" with bummer endings where everyone dies.

I'm sure entire doctoral theses have been written on the subject, and I don't want to get into the philosophy of it.
Entertaining the fans is the goal. Pleasing them is a little different.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Entertaining the fans is the goal. Pleasing them is a little different.
This is why Scorsese should shut the fuck up. I saw The Irishman and while it wasn't a shit show, I was far, far more entertained and emotionally involved with Avengers Endgame. It was the superior movie, had the better story, better, acting, better effects, and better direction.

As for Ep9, I honestly wonder how much of the bad reviews are the critics over correcting after they gave TLJ good reviews. I would bet anything it's not nothing. I figured they approved TLJ without a thought not wanting to be on the wrong side of the public. Then the public turned against that movie. This time I think they're being more cautious, and thus, honest.

BTW, I have to see this in the theater as my youngest, literally, cried and said her #1 gift wish is for me to take her to see it. Fuck. So I'd really appreciate it if someone else could boycott it on my behalf.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Review embargo lifted now that it's airing and YouTube has been FLOODED with bad reviews. The overwhelming majority are shitting all over the movie, even by people who liked TLJ.

Noted comic book and SW nerd HATED it. Calls it dogshit:
https://youtu.be/naxs5zT5aog

I haven't seen it yet, but I go in expecting to hate it. The Last Jedi was simply too horrible and did too much damage.

I really think in 10 years Disney should admit the new trilogy sucked and reboot them...with Kathleen Kennedy nowhere near them. Either animated or with recast actors. There will be money to be made and goodwill with fans to gain.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I really think in 10 years Disney should admit the new trilogy sucked and reboot them..
So, we're back to there only being 3 Star Wars movies?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I really think in 10 years Disney should admit the new trilogy sucked and reboot them..
So, we're back to there only being 3 Star Wars movies?
To date that's exactly how many good ones there have been.

Oh, and Rogue One.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I liked 90% of R1. The "rebellions are built on hope!" stuff is a little saccharine, considering the tone of the rest of the movie.