Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

Post by Leisher »

JJ Abrams returning to write and direct.

People have already made the "so it'll be a remake of Return of the Jedi?" joke, so come up with something new.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Star Wars: Episode IX

Post by Malcolm »

Ep IX: A New Cloverfield. Fuck this movie already.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I have lost all interest in finishing out the series. I suspect even the prequels will get more eyes in rebroadcast 10 years from now than these will.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I have lost all interest in finishing out the series.
It will never "finish". They have plans for more movies after this new trilogy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: I have lost all interest in finishing out the series.
It will never "finish". They have plans for more movies after this new trilogy.
By series I mean this leg of trilogies.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I have lost all interest in finishing out the series. I suspect even the prequels will get more eyes in rebroadcast 10 years from now than these will.
I'd rather watch Episode VII 100x, than watch any part of 1-3
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

same
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Don't ever envision myself ever rewatching VII. I don't think it was a horrible movie. It's one of those movies where when I first saw it I was like, "That was alright", but as time goes on I like it less. To me, all episodes I-VI has some great parts and some really cringworthy parts. VII didn't have either. It just seemed mediocre all the way through. Even killing off a main character from the series was very blah. I felt a greater loss when they killed Wolverine in Logan than I did for Han. Hell, I felt more loss for most of the good guys in Rogue One.

Kylo Ren seemed twice as emo as Anakin, which doesn't make for an intimidating antagonist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Even killing off a main character from the series was very blah. I felt a greater loss when they killed Wolverine in Logan than I did for Han. Hell, I felt more loss for most of the good guys in Rogue One.
I couldn't disagree more. It sucked watching Han die. Wolverine dying was fucking stupid because of the piss poor writing. And Rogue One was a good film, but I never got emotionally invested in any of the characters. Maybe because I knew ahead of time they were all going to die?
Vince wrote: Kylo Ren seemed twice as emo as Anakin, which doesn't make for an intimidating antagonist.
He was emo, but it was written and acted far, far, far better than Anakin's bullshit. It also wasn't surrounded with a bunch of terrible garbage.

Also, are you sure Kylo is the antagonist?
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I couldn't disagree more. It sucked watching Han die. Wolverine dying was fucking stupid because of the piss poor writing. And Rogue One was a good film, but I never got emotionally invested in any of the characters. Maybe because I knew ahead of time they were all going to die?
Really? You didn't think Han saying pretty much, "I know there is still good inside him" and getting skewered wasn't a really stupid way to die? Not only that, the whole thing was an unsuccessful retread of Luke vs Vader. Lazy lazy lazy.

And no, I'm not sure Kylo's the antagonist. He was fought to a standstill by someone that has had zero force training but somehow is about as powerful as Luke ever was. So if he is in fact the antagonist, he's a pretty sucky one.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: He was emo, but it was written and acted far, far, far better than Anakin's bullshit. It also wasn't surrounded with a bunch of terrible garbage.
Absolutely was acted better. I already stated that Abrams gets much better performances from his actors as a director. But what is Kylo's reason for being so emo? I understood why Anakin was so full of anger and hate. Plus we got to see his resentment stoked along by Palpatine. So I would say plot wise, Anakin's being emo was much better written (plot wise).
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, we've gotten almost zero backstory for him, yet. I'm willing to see if the movies answer why he's so emo.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Really? You didn't think Han saying pretty much, "I know there is still good inside him" and getting skewered wasn't a really stupid way to die? Not only that, the whole thing was an unsuccessful retread of Luke vs Vader. Lazy lazy lazy.
JJ Abrahms just making updated versions of old stories aside, I thought Han's death was fine. It was the death of a parent. Who else but your own kid could betray you in such a way?
Vince wrote: And no, I'm not sure Kylo's the antagonist. He was fought to a standstill by someone that has had zero force training but somehow is about as powerful as Luke ever was. So if he is in fact the antagonist, he's a pretty sucky one.
It's why he'd make a great protagonist. It has been speculated that the big twist will be Kylo turning to the light and Rey turning to the dark side.

As for his emo ways, like Gordon, I'm waiting to wait and see. Why did he kill all the other Jedi trainees? Why was he terrified of Rey? Etc.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Well, we've gotten almost zero backstory for him, yet. I'm willing to see if the movies answer why he's so emo.
Let me know. Given Abram's track record and my lack of enthusiasm after his last one, I'll wait to hear if these go somewhere.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Porgs are just comic relief and not crucial to the story.

IMax display might have a spoiler. It's all speculation, so it's only a spoiler if the speculation is correct.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Reports coming out that previous director was fired because he disagreed with Rian Johnson's plans.

Hamill is out here hoping Luke is still alive.

I hope someone at Disney has a clue and realizes the fan backlash against VIII isn't going away. If IX doesn't fix the mess that Rian Johnson created, then Star Wars is going to continue to be a failing investment for them.

I mean their next trilogy is being made by Rian Johnson. Are they really so stupid as to think people are going to flock to go see a new trilogy made by the guy who killed Star Wars?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rian Johnson scrapped a JJ Abrams script for Ep VIII.

Rian Johnson is officially the greatest villain the SW universe has ever known.

It really boggles my mind that the same company that isultimately behind the Marvel movies has allowed Rian Johnson to kill their most expensive franchise for two different eras of fans and their kids.

Kevin Feige had a plan and continues to evolve it.

Kathryn Kennedy appears to be doing this all by the seat of her pants.
Vince

Post by Vince »

This is news to me. I had heard that there was no plan for the trilogy from Abrams on Awakens and his lack of a unified vision didn't even extend out of the movie he was filming at the time with major plot rewrites as they went.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It was news to me as well.

You know what isn't news? Rian Johnson sucks balls.