I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yay Netflix!

Does Elijah Wood only pick the weird projects anymore?

This is a dark comedy that won some big awards on the indy scene. It follows a single lower middle class lady as she looks around the world and sees assholes. It gets worse when she gets robbed and begins her own investigation into it with the help of Elijah Wood.

Most of the comedy comes from just stuff happening rather than punch lines and it works. You'll chuckle here and there, yet in the same moment be watching a dramatic scene. The tone of the movie never gets too serious or too zany. It walks a weird line between both worlds and stumbles back and forth.

It's oddly hypnotizing and entertaining. I recommend it, but not if you're looking for a straight comedy, this isn't that. You've got to come into this with low expectations and it will exceed them. I'm glad Netflix is making films like this, and it shows that they might be saving the movie industry single-handedly. That's a topic for another day though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:You've got to come into this with low expectations and it will exceed them.
So ... it's average or slightly below?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I wouldn't say average. Being a dark comedy immediately puts it into a different ranking system.

It's average for them, but better than a standard paint by numbers film.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”