IT (2017)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by Leisher »

8 bit video game to help hype people up for the movie.

You'll float too!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

IT (2017)

Post by Malcolm »

I'm just going to go out on a limb and call bullshit.
Fandango’s Erik Davis described it as “creepy, bloody, super funny, adorably romantic and hands down among my favorite movies of the year.” Phil Nobile Jr. of Birth.Movies.Death called it “a very handsome, polished execution of a story you know inside out,” while Collider’s Haleigh Foutch answered the question on every fan’s mind: yes, it’s “scary as sh–.”

Others deemed It “a carnival funhouse of a film,” “spooktacular,” and “totally terrifying, but also amazing fun.”
Name any decent Stephen King horror book-to-film story not directed by an all-time great (aka Kubrick & The Shining). I'll wait.
Yeah, exactly. On the other hand, there's no way in hell it can be any worse than the 1990 mini-series, which features some of the most amateur special effects and shitty adaptation choices possible.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

IT (2017)

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: 8 bit video game to help hype people up for the movie.

You'll float too!
Looks like they spent approximately 1 minute of coding time per bit.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by TheCatt »

Misery and Carrie, but I'm guessing you're gonna say the directors are all-time greats.

Shawshank Redemption, not horror, but best movie ever.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

IT (2017)

Post by Malcolm »

I might give you Misery, even though Rob Reiner's career peaked at This is Spinal Tap. I can't say that for any version of Carrie.
Leisher
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by Leisher »

Stephen King loves the film.

This might carry more weight if this same story had not just been used to promote The Dark Tower.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

The one early review I have seen said it was a really good movie.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by Leisher »

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just pointing out how you can't use the same marketing tactics over and over and expect people to believe them each time.
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

The "Stephen King Seal of Approval" pretty much means nothing, less if you consider he doesn't like one of the better adaptions of his book, "The Shining."
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

But then again, he knows when to tell the truth, and when to sell cars.
Malcolm

IT (2017)

Post by Malcolm »

Stephen king thought the movie adaptation of The Mist was good. I rest my case.
Leisher
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: Stephen king thought the movie adaptation of The Mist was good. I rest my case.
Quite possibly one of the worst movie endings ever made. Not because it didn't adhere to the source material or because it was "not ideal", but because it made zero fucking sense and was poorly executed.
Malcolm

IT (2017)

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by Leisher »

Saw this last night.

Very solid movie. Lots of jump scares and creepy imagery. If you don't like clowns, this will not help you sleep.

The acting and dialogue is excellent. The focus of the story is on a group of friends who seem to be the only ones that notice what's going on around town. These kids do a phenomenal job and get some great punch lines. They remind me of the kids from Stand By Me, Stranger Things, and even my own childhood. Jokes are at one another's expense, but not meant to be malicious. Everyone is respectful of each other's own experiences through life and whenever they slip apologies are made. (A lesson adults I know never learned.) This is why their bond is the central focus of the film.

These kids and Pennywise make the film. Their performances, banter, and ability to take the viewers back to their own childhoods are what will resonate with most moviegoers. Meanwhile, Pennywise is just creepy and sadistic enough that you'll have that weird "I want to see more of him, but I can't wait until he gets his comeuppance" vibe about him.

The adult acting is also pretty strong, but they are extremely limited in their screen time. What they do during those brief moments in very good.

All of that makes this a good film and absolutely worth seeing.

However, a deep dive into the film will reveal problems. First, the pacing is a bit wonky. It's most noticeable at the end where I was thinking to myself, "This reminds me of LotR: Return of the King. It'll make you realize there were minor pacing issues throughout. Second, there aren't any explanations, which will lead to negative post film analysis. Why are the adults completely unaffected? The history story contradicts the rest of the film completely. (That can't be understated. Not sure if that's a flaw in King's story or the translation.) What the fuck was going on with the bully? (My wife asked me during the film, "Is this really how boys act?" No, they do not.) The bully's story line is, by far, the most perplexing. What was the meaning of the flaws in the parents? Was that a statement about growing up? Third, some very odd editing choices were made. Switching between scenes is sometimes very jarring. There's one, in particular, that completely took me out of the film. It was as if the editor remembered he had that scene to put in somewhere and forgot until he thought he was done with the movie.

Finally, you may or may not know that they've already green lit a sequel. Even if you didn't know that news, you would have expected it after watching the end of this movie. Not since The Empire Strikes Back has a movie so obviously had the protagonists tell the audience that the story isn't over.

As I said, this is a good film and worth seeing. It's also one I recommend trying to see on the big screen. Why? Because of the sound system and size of the screen. The scares are very visual, so the bigger the screen the better. The movie doesn't necessarily try to creep you out or shock you with imagery, although it does that too. I would describe Pennywise as being more about intimidation. Thus, the bigger, the better. Plus, you need sounds jacked up to really immerse yourself in this world.
TheCatt
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by TheCatt »

The book was pretty awesome. Looking forward to the movie, but guessing my wife has zero interest in it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

This movie is old-school fucked up. I literally said, "Ok, I'm done" when the cute little kid... in the first 5 minutes... it was just so fucked up.

All of Leisher's questions are answered in the book. I know that's not an excuse for logic holes in a movie, but for now I guess chalk it up to storytelling, and maybe they will discuss the difference between the adults and the kids in the next movie. Or, I can just tell you now, if you want. Whatever.
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

Saw.chapter 2. It was kind of meh. And I think the ending sucked so bad they foreshadowed it several times through the movie, almost 4th wall.breaking.
GORDON
Site Admin

IT (2017)

Post by GORDON »

The more I think about it, the more I dislike It, Chapter 2. It's not a good movie.

Just looked it up, they lose 2 of the 3 screenwriters from the first movie, which was good. You can tell.