Bright

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bright

Post by GORDON »

Yay! Netflix on December 22, 2017.

Will Smith remakes Alien Nation except elves and orcs in modern day Los Angeles.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Bright

Post by Malcolm »

So ...LARPing for fake real?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bright

Post by Leisher »

Wasn't as bad as I heard, but not great either. It was interesting more than entertaining.

My biggest complaint was the elves. Elves may be super fast, but super strong? No.

I wouldn't tell you to avoid this, but if you never see it, you're not missing anything.

BTW, Will Smith is the star, but they don't let him "Will Smith", so that's an issue too.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bright

Post by GORDON »

The kid and I enjoyed it, and I disagree, there were a couple small moments of Will Smith being Will Smith.

He and I also had some discussion about how a world that's always had these mythical creatures as a reality could still end up in 2016 looking like 2016, today. I told him I think this is a sequel to the Lord of the Rings movies, like 5k years later. I wonder if that's the premise the writer started with.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bright

Post by GORDON »

Sequeled.

Leisher
Site Admin

Bright

Post by Leisher »

I'll tune in. Bright wasn't great, but it was good enough, and the concept interesting enough that I want more.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bright

Post by GORDON »

I wonder how Netflix determines it was "worth it." Yeah, 11m people watched in the first week, which rivals shit like Star Wars, I guess (I don't really know, box office money <> eyeballs, and I can't find those numbers), but how does Netflix equate that to their own money? Do they figure anyone got a new subscription just to watch this, or didn't cancel because it was so good?

My wild ass guess is that if they see a slight uptick in Netflix membership after this, they will associate it with Bright.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bright

Post by Leisher »

I think their model is subscription based, and then ratings after that.

Point being, I don't think they can accurately keep track of who is signing up for what, but they can track who watches what and when.

So watch your favorites quickly and often.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bright

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: My biggest complaint was the elves. Elves may be super fast, but super strong? No
Elves are super bad-asses in this movie. Except when it's more convenient for them to not be.

Decent. The racial allegory was certainly, uh, not subtle.
It's not me, it's someone else.