Get Out - Spoilers

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Haven't seen it. My preconceived notion is that it is a movie written by a black person who has fantasies that white people like to kill black people and then made a movie about it. Am I wrong?
You are wrong. I also thought it was a "down with whitey" movie. Written and directed by a black comedian known for sketches that Chappelle called "his show without him" (I'm paraphrasing) and married to white woman that's also a comedian. I will say this: You've got to watch the whole thing before you'll say, "Ooooooohhhhhh!"
I disagree with your disagreement. I may have not gotten the exact motivation right, but I still saw this as a "See, white people are fucked up!" movie. That Japanese guy in the mix for three seconds... screamed "token asian to fool the white people." I never saw him anywhere in the background of any other scene. I think he was thrown in last second.

I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it. I don't like supporting that divisive attitude and message. Yay! Plex.

But finally a (mostly) sympathetic TSA character...
Being honest, I think you missed the "why black people" (which was stereotyping, but not racist) or allowed your prejudgment to cloud your opinion too much.

Everyone at that party was bidding to take his body because they wanted the strength, speed, youth, "hipness of being black", etc.

I mean, how can a movie be racist against white people if the white people are, literally, trying to become black people? "I hate them! Let's become them!"

However, I will concede that the crowd at the party could have been more diverse. The problem with that though is you would have probably thought they were converted black people instead of normal cult members. The story itself actually hurt the possibility of diverse casting in that scene. I think it also fully explains the Asian guy.

I actually had more of a problem with the police station scene. A black man complaining about a missing black man and the officer didn't care until he mentioned the white girl. Then when she brought in the other cops, they were also black.

Speaking of the best friend, I thought he was the comedy relief and racist caricature of black people that Jordan Peele is known for. He was cracking jokes, warning about white people in that "crazy black person way", had a government job, etc.

But maybe you're right and Jordan Peele, a comedian that got rich making fun of black culture and who married a white woman, did make a movie that's anti-white people? That's not sarcasm, I'm being serious. Because I know for a fact if they made Get Out again and reversed all the races people would be screaming and protesting claiming it's a subtle message about black people being jealous of white people and how they secretly want to be white.

I, personally, doubt Jordan Peele thinks whitey secretly wants to be black, but I could see how someone could think that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by GORDON »

It's all just personal perception. You're right, I'm right.

I will close with this... I had that perception right from the trailers of the film. It seemed obvious the movie was about a bunch of white people hunting/whatever a black guy. I even saw the white girlfriend betrayal coming before the movie even started. So it isn't like it wasn't marketed that way.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by Leisher »

I also want to point out that the family was honestly fine with their daughter dating black people. I realize she had an ulterior motive, but she was fucking them.

The movie has flaws. Big ones. But I was entertained.

Still:
-Why would a flash free them? Do you know how commonly people get hit with flashes of light? It makes the process worthless.
-If only a portion of them is still there, how would they come back with the flash? That didn't make a lot of sense either. The implication is the majority of the brain was being physically replaced. I don't think Jordan Peele understands how a brain works. I could see the flash making them mindless zombies, but reverting back to themselves that aren't there anymore?
-I think the method used to trap their victims is possibly the most inefficient one possible. I get it. They're showcasing them for the buyers, but there must be easier ways to do that without her daughter needing to entrap folks. How slow is that process?
-Why was the black guy walking in the beginning? Where did he come from? How could you get lost just because of bushes? You're on a fucking sidewalk! That whole first encounter made zero sense. Why not get him to the house and then jump him? Why risk being seen or having him successfully fight back?
-The cotton was way too convenient, and would not block that noise. And nobody thought of that? The volume on that TV would be JACKED UP.
-Why was that door open at the end? Who opened it and left that box for him to find? Is that part of the plan because "acceptance helps the process"?

My wife wanted to know what happens to him in the future if he hears clinking. He'll never be able to attend a wedding again.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I mean, how can a movie be racist against white people if the white people are, literally, trying to become black people? "I hate them! Let's become them!"
Objectification?
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by TheCatt »

I did not see the trailers.

I was proud of myself for figuring out the girl was in on it before the pictures in the box (which he really had no reason to open/go there).

I thought that the use of race was to do two things: 1) a portion of the dialogue was things "white people say about black people," or when in black neighborhoods, etc 2) To heighten the tension by the use of the current state of race relations.

The flash I just thought was a convenient way to possibly trigger the medula oblongata (portion of the brain of the original person that could not be removed) and autonomic function. It's associated with reflexes and other non-thinking action, thus the idea being that it could be triggered by a strong external stimulus. But yeah, lots of photos in the world.
Why was the black guy walking in the beginning? Where did he come from? How could you get lost just because of bushes? You're on a fucking sidewalk! That whole first encounter made zero sense.
See what I said about about in #1. With the comments he was making, he was in extremely unfamiliar territory (being from Brooklyn).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by TheCatt »

-The cotton was way too convenient, and would not block that noise. And nobody thought of that? The volume on that TV would be JACKED UP.
It doesn't have to block it, just obscure it enough.
-Why was that door open at the end? Who opened it and left that box for him to find? Is that part of the plan because "acceptance helps the process"?
Yeah, this was just to explain it to the viewers that the girl was in on it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Objectification?
Nah, not if you're trying to become them. Although, I guess such desire is actually racist towards white people. It's like saying "White is so uncool, they don't want to be white."
TheCatt wrote: a portion of the dialogue was things "white people say about black people,
But did you notice it was also things black people say about white people? It was written by a black guy, so I'll allow some views from within his prism without calling it racism.
TheCatt wrote: See what I said about about in #1. With the comments he was making, he was in extremely unfamiliar territory (being from Brooklyn).
No, I got what he was doing there and why. My point was how inefficient and insecure it was for their purpose. Just get him to the house where it's private and you can control the situation, then kidnap him.
TheCatt wrote: It doesn't have to block it, just obscure it enough.
The main character is NOT a big guy. Those were really tiny wisps of cotton. Of course, they had showed us how poor these people are at planning, so I'll allow it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Get Out - Spoilers

Post by TheCatt »