Okja

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Okja

Post by GORDON »

I would have sworn there was already a thread for this.

Yay! Netflix... an original movie, I understand.

Anyway, a corporation starts making "SuperPigs" which look like HippoPigs. As a publicity stunt they send 26 of them around the world to be raised by farmers, and the one in South Korea grows up with a little girl and then there are big problems when it matures and it is time for the butchers.

I have seen this movie hyped like crazy all over the internet for the last week, so we sat down and watched it over dinner...

This is not a happy movie.

That's all I'll say.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Okja

Post by Leisher »

But is it worth watching?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Okja

Post by GORDON »

Yes. But not with children.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Okja

Post by Leisher »

Seemed like an anti-meat propaganda film to me. Lots of reviews for this movie on IMDB promoting veganism. Thing is reality isn't like this movie.

The villains and heroes were such ridiculous caricatures that they were impossible to take even remotely seriously. Good CGI though and the young girl does an amazing job. Didn't care for the holocaust symbolism at the end.

I'm an animal lover and a meat eater. This movie wasn't made for me.

Gordon is right that this is not a movie for kids. Unless you want to explain to your kids about all the foul language, violence, and how the food chain works.

There's a post-credits scene that made me chuckle. (The very last thing...)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”