Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Post by Leisher »

The Manson family.

I hope he doesn't hang it up after this one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Quentin's next...and last?

Post by Malcolm »

For years, he's been saying he's done at 60.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tom Cruise in talks.

I assume to play Manson.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Hard to gt excited for a Tarantino movie lately.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Hard to gt excited for a Tarantino movie lately.
Remind me why. So many people doing bad things these days, I can't keep track.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Remind me why. So many people doing bad things these days, I can't keep track.
I just meant his latest movies, that I've seen, have only been good, not great. No Pulp Fiction or even Kill Bill.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Just went to Tarantino's IMDB page to research the list below and saw Kill Bill: Vol 3 as being announced.

Ranking Tarantino's 8 movies, imho (Best to worst):
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill: Vol 1
Kill Bill: Vol 2
The Hateful Eight
Django Unchained
Jackie Brown
Inglorious Bastards
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Never saw THE. But I agree on his best four. I would put PF about RD though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

PF definitely had far, far more style, but I think RD was a tighter movie.

See The Hateful Eight. It's pretty damn good. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tarantino might re-cut it to make it longer.
The Cannes cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ran for two hours and 39 minutes, but Tarantino went on to reveal that the initial assembly cut was four hours and 20 minutes
I'm looking forward to seeing 7 hour movies...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe... put some constraints on yourself, Tarantino.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The R-rated film, which is set in 1969 and features a cast led by Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie, debuted in second place at the box office with $40 million across the Friday to Sunday period.
Do you think people work at a discount to work with Tarantino?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
The R-rated film, which is set in 1969 and features a cast led by Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie, debuted in second place at the box office with $40 million across the Friday to Sunday period.
Do you think people work at a discount to work with Tarantino?
I do.

No way does he get these folks for their standard rates.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I posted that before reading the whole article with all the other recognizable names in the film.

And the quote from Robbie saying she'd kill to work with him. Gotta b a discount on a $95 million budget
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This was the correct way to go. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is NOT Pulp Fiction. Not even in the same universe.

This, like Inglorious Bastards, is an alternate version of a real event.

Here's the good:
-Pitt is awesome. He's perfectly cast in this role.
-DiCaprio really steals the show. He's fucking brilliant.
-Perfectly directed
-The whole end scene that you know is coming is hilarious
-Really good dialogue throughout
-Everyone really does a great job
-Cameos galore

Here's the bad:
-It's loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.
-I'm not really sure what the actual plot of the movie was? Friendship conquers all? Don't fuck with actors?
-You know how sometimes longer movies have scenes that feel unnecessary and they could have been cut for time? Pretty much the entire movie feels like that except the Mason family scene.

I really enjoyed the performances and dialogue, but ultimately, what's the story? I guess this is just a tale of humanity, particularly of people trying to find relevancy when their star dims? I don't know.

As it stands, I cannot recommend it aside from seeing the performances. I mean, you're going to see it because it's Tarantino, but imho this is his worst film because it completely lacks a plot.