War Machine

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

War Machine

Post by Leisher »

Yay Netflix!

Loosely based on Army General Stanley McChrystal and his tour in Afghanistan.

Brad Pitt is General McMahon because they can't use the real guy's name.

This is an anti-war film that's both comedy and drama. Interestingly, it doesn't bash soldiers. Sure it paints those close to McMahon in a negative light, but only to a certain extent. It just covers their personality traits, it doesn't condemn them for their job. Also, when I say anti-war, it is, but it's much more anti-stupid wars. Let me explain... Basically, it slams the type of war that's being fought and explains why respectfully. It'd honestly be hard for anyone to argue. The problem is they offer no solutions. There is no alternative given. It's half a conversation. It's one viewpoint that doesn't really take everything into account.

Still, as a vet, I didn't find this movie offensive. In fact, I was shocked at how they painted Obama and his White House. He does not come off well. He comes off like an incompetent puppet and a petty dick. Stunning for a Hollywood movie.

It's long, and not always riveting. Not sure I would recommend it, but I would be curious to hear other opinions.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

War Machine

Post by GORDON »

It was pretty good. The Rolling Stone reporter comes off as obviously wanting to bring down the leadership in the Afghanistan War, but did nothing to offer any alternatives. He brought down the guy who was saying, "We can't make them love us if we keep killing them."
He was chaos for the sake of chaos. Didn't like him. Fuck that guy.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."