Bill Maher drops the N word

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bill Maher drops the N word

Post by Leisher »

He has since apologized.
During an interview with Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., about his new book, The Vanishing American Adult, Maher and Sasse were discussing adults who dress up for Halloween. Sasse said that happened less often in Nebraska, where the practice is "frowned upon."

"I've got to get to Nebraska more," said Maher.

To which Sasse earnestly replied, "You're welcome. We'd love to have you work in the fields with us."

Maher narrowed his brow. "Work in the fields?" he said, raising his palms. "Senator, I'm a house [N-word]."

Sasse smiled uncomfortably, and some groans were audible from the audience. "It's a joke," protested Maher, moving the conversation along. Claps could then be heard from the audience.
I was going to post this in the "Things people I know post on FB" thread, but it applies here. My militant black friend recently posted this:
If I admit it's a double standard only black people can use the n word, will you admit there's a double standard in regards to the inequity of wealth and representation in the highest levels of society, due to the actions that accompanied the usage of the word still today? We gonna get that deserved piece of the pie for building this join we never received? Didn't think so, in that case it's simple...don't use it.
Here's some other quotes by famous black people and leaders on the Maher controversy:
Chance the Rapper asked HBO to air no further episodes of Real Time.
“He knows that’s a bad word to a lot of people,” the rapper told Rolling Stone. “Now, the question is: Why did he think he could be that comfortable with saying that? What makes you think you can say that? Why did you think you could get away with that?”
Activist DeRay Mckesson tweeted a clip of Maher's comments and said that the host "had to go. There are no explanations that make this acceptable."
The Rev. Al Sharpton tweeted that his National Action Network "wants to meet w/ HBO asap about the normalizing of the use of the N word. I know and love Bill Maher but this is unacceptable."
I'm not going to defend Maher for saying the word. I would defend his right to say it, but anyone with a shred of common sense knows if you're white you can't say it and expect no consequences.

However, I will say this in response to all the people I quoted: Stop using the word in music, movies, and books that you market and sell to white people if you don't want them to use it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”