Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead

Post by Leisher »

Yay Netflix!

An Australian film about the zombie apocalypse.

I don't want to spoil anything here, but this film changes some of the rules on zombies. Definitely not rules that will be used elsewhere, but entertaining here. Do the new rules make sense? Fuck no. In fact, they're ridiculous and go unexplained, but fuck it! It's fun to watch folks explode zombies.

There are two story lines running here. One has a man and his family waking up to the end of the world. The other is about a woman who gets caught up with the wrong folks when all hell breaks loose.

The timeline doesn't work at all either. I don't want to get into it so as not to spoil things, but the "villains" and their progress/technology makes no sense at all. They should have some long backstory or something. This will make more sense if you watch it.

A couple of obvious homages to Evil Dead, some bad acting, and a ridiculous story make for a film that's oddly compelling. Apparently, it's a cult classic in Australia and I see why. It's full of charisma. It's fun despite it's massive flaws. It just doesn't give a fuck.

I want to compare this movie to something like The Toxic Avenger, but it's not that sophomoric. It's not that driven by comedy. This is tongue in cheek while playing it straight or maybe it's straight while playing it tongue in cheek...

The rare indy/B film that I like more the more I think about it.

Don't come looking for a tight script and dialogue. Just set your brain in neutral and enjoy the ride.

UPDATE: From what I understand there's talk of doing a ten part TV show as a sequel.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”