Luke Cage

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

I'm assuming many of you are hesitant to watch this series after the SJW fest that was Jessica Jones. I'm happy to report that this series is devoid of that bullshit and is quite excellent.

Luke Cage (the series) is very, very black and it's awesome. The series takes place in Harlem and the central characters are all black. It's about black culture and black people, but doesn't get racial. I mean, it does, but not at the expense of other races. There's a single racist line uttered and it's by one of the main villains and it's a subtle thing. It fits the story. All other racist things that are uttered are black on black. In fact, they clearly went out of their way to make sure this series didn't alienate certain demographics like Jessica Jones did.

They did that while still making the whole series about black culture and the ongoing internal war.

The 13 episodes are all pretty tight too. During the binge I don't remember thinking "that was a filler episode". Although I'm certain they could have fit everything into 10 episodes.

The story and dialogue were lights out all the way though. Some things you'll know are coming, some you won't, and one will probably shock you.

I didn't care for a few things:
-The final episode got pretty hokey. The main villain even became very cartoonish. At one point I thought, am I watching Luke Cage or Friday?
-The love story and time line are completely bewildering to me. Can't go into this without spoilers...
-I wanted some cameos...

If you liked Daredevil, this is a great return to form for Marvel on Netflix after the plodding, poorly cast, and anti-white men Jessica Jones.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

I didn't think JJ was an SJW-fest, you'll have to remind me. I've been told, but cannot say first person, that it was dramatically less SJW than the comics.

Looking forward to LC.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: I'm assuming many of you are hesitant to watch this series after the SJW fest that was Jessica Jones. I'm happy to report that this series is devoid of that bullshit and is quite excellent.

Luke Cage (the series) is very, very black and it's awesome. The series takes place in Harlem and the central characters are all black. It's about black culture and black people, but doesn't get racial.
I don't remember reading this post, but I came to say exactly this. I was impressed that they made a black show without having to denigrate other races.

I still haven't forgiven the JJ people. That was bullshit. Who the hell do they think their market is?

Back to Luke Cage... I haven't watched the last episode yet, but when in the JJ timeline does all this take place? In JJ he had a bar, so it sounds like JJ happened after this, but no one had heard of him in JJ? In LC he was famous.

Then again, the lady cop specifically mentioned JJ's excuse that she snapped a neck because she was being mind controlled by the purple Man.... so LC absolutely has to take place after that.

Which doesn't make a ton of sense... LC escaped from Seagate, and was laying low in the barber shop, but he used to own a bar in Hell's Kitchen at some point?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

I feel like the inevitable story arch for Luke is someone finds a weakness, either 1) magic bullets again or 2) the ones he loves. And it just repeats like GroundHog Day.
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

Season 2 is pretty damn good.

It starts off slow, but gets rolling about halfway. Some of the episodes suffer from that slowness as well, but the overall story, acting, and action will keep you engaged.

The acting is really, really strong, although you'll see lesser performances from some people here and there. I'm not going to bother breaking down who and where, but you'll see them. Mostly, you'll just enjoy the ride.

Mustafa Shakir is awesome as Bushmaster. He's a great Marvel villain, meaning he's not just an evil guy plotting to take over the world. He has layers, depth, and a good motivation. Alfre Woodard is still amazing as Mariah Stokes/Dillard. Theo Rossi returns as Shades and is awesome, while Thomas Q. Jones plays his best friend and their side story is really well done. LOTS of bad guys this season. (I'm not even listing them all.)

Someone else is in the final scenes with all new hair, and yes, that's a clear sign of a change. If you were to look up this person's name, you'd find out they now look like the comics version and you'd say "of course!" when you see their code name.

Speaking of all the villains, the body count and brutality skyrocket this season.

The story is told well, but there are two areas where I noticed pretty large mistakes. Also, the last episode kind of drags in a Return of the King "when the fuck is this over" way. The ending though... It's really good. Really, really good and I pray they don't just pretend nothing happened when season 3 starts.

The biggest thing about this season is the team up every Marvel fan wants happens. Power Man and Iron Fist! It's fucking awesome, and they are in the single best fight scene so far in the Marvel Netflix Universe. It's poetry. Whoever choreographed that scene knows the characters and really played to their strengths. Also, make note of Iron Fist here because they very obviously nod to the audience that shit's different. Luke Cage talks for the audience and says some things, and let's just say while the actor is the same, it's very clear this is a new Iron Fist.

Please give us Heroes for Hire!

Anyway, highly recommended.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

Also canceled.

I haven't watched season 2, but season 1 was good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

Season 2 was good.

This plays into my thinking that we might get a Power Man and Iron Fist series.
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

Cancellation might have been more of a political (not R vs D political) move.

Looks like Netflix didn't like some people working on the show.
Vince

Luke Cage

Post by Vince »

I read an article a couple of days ago that speculated that the viewership of the show likely had dropped dramatically. Since Netflix doesn't give out those numbers, they compared the Twitter buzz from the first season compared to the second season and then matched that to Iron Fist's Twitter buzz and they tracked very similarly. Though from what I've read, everyone seems to have liked Cage much more. So... for what it's worth.

I find it hard to imagine that if they were making bank on the show that they'd cancel no matter who was butt hurt over what. But who knows.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I find it hard to imagine that if they were making bank on the show that they'd cancel no matter who was butt hurt over what. But who knows.
I mean Roseanne got cancelled. So did Tim Allen's show, and that was doing very well in a Friday night time slot, which is rare.
Vince

Luke Cage

Post by Vince »

Tim Allen's show was a weird case, though. The company that was paying production (not ABC) was at the end of their contract and any additional shows fell outside of the agreement where that company got syndication rights. So with no profit motive for them, they bailed. ABC was suddenly confronted with picking up the production costs which they hadn't been paying up until then, so they bailed. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of why they got canceled was because they didn't have any advocates at ABC. But I don't think it was a straight up, "It's conservative, so we're killing it."
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

What if we took the least liked Defender and put him into Luke Cage?

- no one ever except Netflix

Maybe this happen in the comics, but I hope to god that iron fist wasn't so terrible
Leisher
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by Leisher »

They are best friends in the books. Iron Fist had the hottest and best written comic going for a hot minute several years back, like Aquaman.

Iron Fist and his mythology are awesome in the books. The TV show not so much.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Iron Fist had the hottest and best written comic going for a hot minute several years back, like Aquaman.
I think I read that somewhere (maybe here?), but ugh, the integration was kinda terrible.

(Luke Cage suddenly dumb for 3 days)

Iron Fist: Wait, shouldn't we do this totally obvious thing?

LC: Oh, yeah.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Luke Cage

Post by TheCatt »

Season 2 was very good. The tone of a few things didn't quite sit well with me, some of the relationships or characters' behavior, but was soooo much better than Jessica Jones S2