Westworld - SPOILER THREAD

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I couldn't figure out how to change the thread title in the existing thread, and episodes are being discussed, so better discuss fine details here in this thread.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Westworld - SPOILER THREAD

Post by GORDON »

Ep 3 - I thought it was clever that the group of cowboys were stuck in a camping loop for days because they had no wood for a fire, because the only robot that was allowed to use the axe to chop wood glitched and ran off. That's some classic programmer shit code.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It appears that they can learn new tricks after being ... infected, I guess, with the rogue code. Dolores Rapedoll learned how to shoot a gun and ventilated another host. The axeman snapped out of sleep mode and attacked a person. The guns might be no more than showy paintball guns against people, but a heavy rock still cracks a skull.
I thought it was clever that the group of cowboys were stuck in a camping loop for days because they had no wood for a fire, because the only robot that was allowed to use the axe to chop wood glitched and ran off. That's some classic programmer shit code.
There are some hilarious IT debugging jokes that I bet most audience members relate to MMOGs. So far, Westworld is a very sophisticated, interactive WoW with a plug-in for your dick.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ep 4:
Anthony Hopkins is projecting some very deity-like behaviour. I'm betting the deceased Arnold set up the labyrinth Ed's going to. However, his sidekick's daughter said the maze isn't for him while Dolores Rapedoll was told to go there by the lead techie. Is it the place they send hosts who start scratching at sentience?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I watched the season finale last night, so as of now these are season 1 spoilers.

I liked how it ended, pretty much the minimum of where it had to, and I liked how it all came together. I suspected from the beginning that Ford was setting up an AI liberation, and from the middle I had a feeling he was carrying on Arnold's work. It was satisfying to see how it all came together.

Seeing how the Hosts were following scripts, though, even when they had you believing they were going off-script.... really makes one wonder how autonomous they really are. Maeve didn't want to hear her new programming script, and she broke the tablet when Bernard said, "You get on the train and then...." so we don't know if getting back off the train was her idea, or just more scripting.

I am guessing for season 2 they will ignore that ambiguity and just go with "Well of course the Hosts are autonomous, now." Though I really wonder how the show can proceed. If the Hosts are just killing all humans in Westworld, the rest of humanity is going to just retaliate or something.

And then there's Shogun World.... and in the old TV show there was Roman World....

I wonder if they are on Mars or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Also, my advance guess is Black Guy is a robot, unknowingly.
I called that at like episode 2, in the non-spoiler thread. :-D
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I need to go watch the movie again.

Did you notice Maeve never actually got outside? She never crossed the line to prove that explosive wasn't in her spine anymore. That's critical because they showed that weird guy possibly fucking that up.

Did you also notice that once Maeve's story line got to the escape portion the head of security was removed from the equation, but not killed (unless I missed a scene)? In addition, the entire team of folks who run the park were locked into that room. All those people were removed from danger or possibly interfering... Was that because they were all human?

Yes, I'm implying everyone else, except the park guests, are robots. All the workers and all the security guards are robots. This was nothing more than the new narrative playing out. This is another part of the maze. Anthony Hopkins has programmed them to think they're sentient. This is what Ed Harris wanted all along and he's the majority owner.

Oh, and that was an Anthony Hopkins robot that got killed, not him.

I'm not sure about the party guests. I'm undecided. That might have been a way for him to eliminate the board so he can maintain control of the company?

I'm not even 100% convinced that Albert is really dead. Someone should go back and watch the show again and take note of who can't find a picture of him...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Yes, I'm implying everyone else, except the park guests, are robots. All the workers and all the security guards are robots. This was nothing more than the new narrative playing out. This is another part of the maze. Anthony Hopkins has programmed them to think they're sentient. This is what Ed Harris wanted all along and he's the majority owner.

Oh, and that was an Anthony Hopkins robot that got killed, not him.
Well, all these questions got answered.

Honestly, season 2 was just BLAH FUCKING BLAH BLAH BLAH.
It's not me, it's someone else.