Everest

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Everest

Post by Leisher »

This film covers the tragedy on Everest that took place on May 10th and 11th 1996.

Basically, a seasoned climber turned getting to the summit into a business, and many others followed suit. This led to unsafe conditions on the mountain due to long waits in line. This was exacerbated due to most of the clients being unskilled climbers. Two companies tried to make a deal to speed things up, but prep work went undone, and one of the owners/guides was a loose cannon (his story just made no sense in this film). Also, everyone made bad choices, which is apparently very common at that altitude.

Seriously, any safety department in the world could show this movie as an example of what happens when you don't prep and break all your own rules.

Decent film, but it honestly loses something in translation. It's difficult to put yourself into the shoes of these climbers and understand their situation without a real frame of reference. I know for one of the climbers I was saying to myself "just fucking get up" and real climbers would probably try to explain to me why he couldn't, but then would have a hard time explaining how he did later.

The film makers' lack of presenting the weather properly also factors into a lack of dire or doom in the situation. The storm just didn't seem rough. I'm certain it was, but it was really undersold.

The film is worth seeing once because it is interesting seeing what is involved in climbing Everest, and how this tragedy played out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: Everest

Post by TheCatt »

Into Thin Air was a really good account of the event as well, I've not seen the movie yet.

Everest IMAX movie was in production at the same time and briefly touched on the disaster. Was a reallly good IMAX film.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's free on HBO right now. I'm looking forward to your opinion as I know from a previous thread, and you point out here, that you've read at least one book on the tragedy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If you haven't read the book, give it a read. It was chilling. I got chills just thinking about it again writing that post.
Leisher
Site Admin

Everest

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Everest

Post by TheCatt »

The traffic james have been around for years. Made much worse when there are not a lot of weather windows to climb, as apparently has been the case this year.
Leisher
Site Admin

Everest

Post by Leisher »

Someone should install an escalator.
GORDON
Site Admin

Everest

Post by GORDON »

I would have a better time climbing the 5th highest peak and not see another human, than climbing Everest and winding through a queue at each choke point.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Everest

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I would have a better time climbing the 5th highest peak and not see another human, than climbing Everest and winding through a queue at each choke point.
Everest is the tallest, so it will always get the people. There's a lot more technical climbs, and there's probably more fun climbs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Everest

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Everest

Post by Leisher »

10 tons of trash removed from Everest.
(fixed - Catt)(Thank you - Leisher)