Purge 3: Election Year

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Actual subtitle.
It looks indescribably bad.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Purge 3: Election Year

Post by Leisher »

It's pretty terrible.

A white female senator is running for the presidency and her biggest platform item is to eliminate "The Purge". Why? Because it's discriminatory against the have-nots. These have-nots are portrayed by mostly black folks. Meanwhile, the bad guys are old, white politicians AND white supremacists. (I forgot to mention they're also Christians and that fact is used towards the end of the film. Did you know Christians were big on human sacrifice?)

Now not all the minorities are good guys. The actual purgers, who are a minor part of this movie, are a good mix of races. I'm not sure why they couldn't show more diversity in the bad guys...

So let's pretend that the movie doesn't contain blatant racism or class-ism (shout out to TPR), which I'm sure they think they're sending a message about combating, and simply focus on the story.

The bad guys remove the rule protecting class 10 citizens for this year's Purge, and this is during an election year where the aforementioned senator is thisclose to winning the presidency. So what do you think this genius senator does during the Purge? Does she go to one of the shelters for the rich and famous? Nope. She stays at home so she doesn't lose votes. Thank goodness her BFF secret service agent is of the same cut as Gerard Butler's.

Meanwhile, one of the have-nots, Nic Cage's buddy from Con Air, owns a convenience store and gets confronted by two black girls trying to shoplift. They're really pissed because he just wants them to stop and won't even call the police. Later, hours before the purge, his insurance company calls and tells him they're raising his rates and if he doesn't pay he won't be insured for the purge that night. (I'll bet that insurance company is run by old white men.) He has a black female friend who's a former gang banger legend, not the good kind, and a Hispanic employee to help him through the night though.

They also introduce the concept of an underground network of medical personnel helping people where they can and makeshift shelters. They say in the movie that there's an "unwritten rule" about not attacking them. I found that to be interesting. On a night when people are encouraged to live out their sickest desires, you're grouping a bunch of people into one location and waving a flag saying "please don't attack us". Seems to me like that would make it a desired target for monsters.

Oh, and the hero of the resistance against the purge is a black guy. A black guy who gets chastised by the white senator for his plans on this particular evening.

Don't worry minorities, even though you're being oppressed by old white people, an old white lady and her white bodyguard will save the day!

Ok, I'm done being snarky. Based on the concept of the film, it wasn't a success. This wasn't a horror movie about a horrific concept, it was an action movie set within that horrific concept. Holy shit, I just realized this was Escape from New York.

Easily the worst Purge movie to date and a departure from the horror part of the concept.

Spoilers from here on...

Future installments, if they make them, will be interesting since the purge is outlawed. They clearly show where the violence will come from in the future, but how's that going to work without the cool siren and sanctioned violence?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I found the premise to be retarded from the first flick. From what you've posted alone, the retard factor seems amped up by a million.
The bad guys remove the rule protecting class 10 citizens for this year's Purge
Wow. I don't give a fuck if each has their own personnel fuhrer bunker. That's, what, 95% of the populous just waiting to take a crack at you, and you've given them the opportunity of a lifetime? Do they have fucking cloaking devices, because I can't think of anything else that might save them. Imagine that the citizens of the US got one night to catch whatever politician or rich prick they wanted. I'm pretty sure nine-tenths of the population would go to the west or east coast and have a holiday.
They also introduce the concept of an underground network of medical personnel helping people where they can and makeshift shelters. They say in the movie that there's an "unwritten rule" about not attacking them.
The fuck?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Wow. I don't give a fuck if each has their own personnel fuhrer bunker. That's, what, 95% of the populous just waiting to take a crack at you, and you've given them the opportunity of a lifetime? Do they have fucking cloaking devices, because I can't think of anything else that might save them. Imagine that the citizens of the US got one night to catch whatever politician or rich prick they wanted. I'm pretty sure nine-tenths of the population would go to the west or east coast and have a holiday.
The lack of logic is pretty hilarious. This was two days before the Purge. They should have known she was staying home, and based on the security measures they put into place at her house, they did.

All they had to do was have her killed, then blame some scapegoat who didn't give a fuck that she was level 10 or whatever.

No, they had to go the "bad guy with all the power dumbly levels the playing field" bullshit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The part that had me furrowing my eyebrows and saying, "the fuck?" out loud was the idea that since the second movie, there's been all this "new evidence uncovered that suggests the Purge is being used to kill poor people for economic reasons."

And yet, that was stated clearly as the reason the Purge was first implemented, because the economy couldn't support all the poor people.

It's like the writer's forgot that, or something.

But yeah, all in all, not a great movie.

I heard the next one is "The First Purge." That can be interesting.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Never seen them, but that was the premise Rick and Morty showed for their purge episode
It's not me, it's someone else.