Black Panther

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I like the "It's the 3rd world"

"No that's a front" aspect.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Another trailer. I think I said this before, but I am really digging the different tone and vibe.

GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Movie's good. Matinee was sold out and a long line, way ahead of time.

There are too many cut-edits in the fight scenes.

But the Wakandan people were written as "without fear," and I always like seeing that. As I said elsewhere, I think fear is what makes most people shitty. So it was a community you'd want to be part of, but darn, wrong skin color. :-D

Spoiler below.

"Don't sneak up on me, colonizer."
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

Over a billion dollars box office so far.

I can only assume this movie is doing so well because racism is so out of control in this country...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Over a billion dollars box office so far.

I can only assume this movie is doing so well because racism is so out of control in this country...
People have always been ok with blacks as entertainers.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Over a billion dollars box office so far.

People have always been ok with blacks as entertainers.
I laughed.
Vince

Black Panther

Post by Vince »

Not doing great in China, I'd read.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

Vince wrote: Not doing great in China, I'd read.
Chinese people disagree with Catt. Those racists.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
Asian people are scared of black people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:
Asian people are scared of black people.
Actually, they think they're lazy and violent. Years back we posted an op ed piece that actually ran in a SF paper detailing why Asians hated black people and it listed that stuff.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

Asian people need some PC re-education, apparently.
Vince

Black Panther

Post by Vince »

Actually one of the quotes from a movie goer in China was that there were too many black people. And trying to watch black people in black clothes fighting in dark scenes at night was hard.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Cakedaddy

Black Panther

Post by Cakedaddy »

I didn't like it. And I don't get the Wakandan's politics. At all.

***Spoiler?***

Half of their citizens living in a secret high tech utopian city with all of their needs taken care of. The other half outside of the city portraying a 3rd world existence for the rest of the world so no one knows about the super rich elites hidden behind the cloaking device? Kinda fucked up.

"Yes, we are 3rd world with starving people. But we don't want any aid. Leave us alone. Because we don't want to blow this kick ass gig we've got setup for ourselves behind the wall."

I couldn't help thinking that these were the ones that sold their neighbors into the slave trade.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

More proof that racism is alive and well, Black Panther becomes the 10th highest grossing film of all time.

In related news, people at WB/DC have to be beside themselves in frustration.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

It was good, but it wasn't.

Beautifully shot and acted. Competent script honored the source material despite the obvious holes in logic. However, the whole film was fucking slooooooooooooooooooooow and plodding. Also, the entire film revolved around an incident that made zero sense. Literally, each person in that scene acted about as incorrectly as possible for the film to progress.
Cakedaddy wrote: Half of their citizens living in a secret high tech utopian city with all of their needs taken care of. The other half outside of the city portraying a 3rd world existence for the rest of the world so no one knows about the super rich elites hidden behind the cloaking device? Kinda fucked up.
I had the same thought. I guess they were faking it?
Cakedaddy wrote: Yes, we are 3rd world with starving people. But we don't want any aid. Leave us alone.
Yeah, that works so well. You're telling me nobody would just come anyway?

Cakedaddy wrote: I couldn't help thinking that these were the ones that sold their neighbors into the slave trade.
Right?
GORDON wrote: So it was a community you'd want to be part of, but darn, wrong skin color.
Yeah, there was a bit of martyrism going on at the expense of whitey. Someone might want to let the folks behind the film know that every race has been persecuted, slaughtered, raped, and enslaved. All at the hands of every race as well. Black people weren't the only slaves, owned slaves, aren't the only people oppressed, and are also oppressors.

Want some truth? I think many reviews of this film were more about being fearful of being called a racist if they said anything negative.

I've very glad I saw it, but I'd never sit down to watch it again. Oh, and both post credit scenes kind of sucked. They didn't reveal much of the overall Marvel plot except to show a certain someone not in the state we thought.
thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

Not only that, this line about "my ancestors who jumped into the sea rather than be slaves." How's he one of your ancestors then?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Not only that, this line about "my ancestors who jumped into the sea rather than be slaves." How's he one of your ancestors then?
He could have been a great-great-great uncle, right?

i havent seen the movie, so i have no context.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

thibodeaux wrote: Not only that, this line about "my ancestors who jumped into the sea rather than be slaves." How's he one of your ancestors then?
I liked the sentiment. If he can't rule, he'd rather be dead.

Meaning, I like his commitment.