Black Panther

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I have a dollar that says BP wins.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

Of course it’s going to win. For the same reasons Obama won the Nobel.

Because RACISM!!’
Vince

Black Panther

Post by Vince »

I'd say under ordinary circumstances BP wouldn't win. But the academy is so far in the dog house this year with the Kevin Hart mess and a general sense that they have been drifting further and further out of touch for the last 20 years that they might give it to BP just to try to appease us commoners. This has the greatest intersectional rating between pedestrian and woke.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: But the academy is so far in the dog house this year with the Kevin Hart mess
It isn't just Kevin Hart. (Thus, not a race thing.) It's ALL hosts. They are having trouble finding anyone to take the job because they had already gone through a couple. Kevin Hart wasn't the first choice. Everyone is just too controversial for ultra liberal Hollywood. Any tweet or comment that's even remotely non-progressive is being dug up by the lunatics out there on the interwebs.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Well, good. Either have standards, or don't. We need to see how bad it can get before we course correct (hopefully) and stop catering to the crazies. The only way out, is through.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

Why Black Panther deserved an Oscar nod and not Infinity War.

The poll there is currently at 61% disagreeing (13% saying both should have been nominated), and the comments section is a whole bunch of people calling bullshit on the article. I scanned about 50 comments and there wasn't a single pro-BP argument. (Clearly all the commenters are racist...)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I don't have a problem with BP on its face. I was sympathetic to the antagonist's goals and motivations, and that means it was done well. But they never nominate movies like this, and because of that it is clearly pandering, and that SHOULD be an insult to the targeted audience

But it isn't, because I give them too much intellectual credit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

I really enjoyed this movie. Beautifully shot, gorgeous movie. Felt the story was different from most boring ass super hero movies. The last 30 minutes were the same generic blah, but otherwise much better. No Avengers 1 or EndGame, but probably top half of the Marvel series, or better.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I thought so, too. Not sure why so many people are in the "sucks" camp.

Probably racists.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

So I'd say the top MCU movies are: (in no particular order)
Black Panther
Iron Man
The Avengers
GotG vol 1
Ragnarok
Infinity War
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Will not challenge.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I thought so, too. Not sure why so many people are in the "sucks" camp.

Probably racists.
Are there people in the "sucks" camp? I'm in the "It was a very good film, just not Best Picture Oscar Nominee worthy. Certainly not in a year when Infinity War doesn't get that nod."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

I'm OK with the nomination. I mean, it's literally the only one of the 8 movies nominated that I've even seen. Do I think the other Avengers movie deserved it more? Yes. But, that may be because of how many MCU films I've seen. I'm invested in those characters. Does it stand alone as well as BP? I can't judge that cuz I don't have that perspective.

I can say that BP was (mostly) better than Shape of Water, but not as good as Get Out, the 2 2018 nominees I saw.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I can say that BP was (mostly) better than Shape of Water, but not as good as Get Out, the 2 2018 nominees I saw.
That's a fair statement.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: I thought so, too. Not sure why so many people are in the "sucks" camp.

Probably racists.
Are there people in the "sucks" camp? I'm in the "It was a very good film, just not Best Picture Oscar Nominee worthy. Certainly not in a year when Infinity War doesn't get that nod."
The people who always slam Marvel movies as "sucks.". Not here.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote:

Probably racists.
The people who always slam Marvel movies as "sucks.". Not here.
So DC fanboys.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Crazy thing is, Aquaman is the most successful DC film, and it's the one I think sucks the most.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

I pointed that out to my wife when we watched it. Her "What?"

Also, I expected Andy Serkis to be much smaller... gollum-like.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I.always imagine Serkis has strong BO when I see pics of.him.