Black Panther

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: Not only that, this line about "my ancestors who jumped into the sea rather than be slaves." How's he one of your ancestors then?
He could have been a great-great-great uncle, right?
Ancestors are people you are descended from. Not just random people from your family past.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: Not only that, this line about "my ancestors who jumped into the sea rather than be slaves." How's he one of your ancestors then?
He could have been a great-great-great uncle, right?
Ancestors are people you are descended from. Not just random people from your family past.
I've never taken it that literally. I've considered it any relative from prior generations. But I'm not very precise with language.

That being said, maybe only adults were taken as slaves, and kids were left behind, and those ancestors are the ones that grew up and continued the line?
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

IT WAS A STUPID LINE OK WHY YOU ARGUING???
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I liked it. You're the stupid.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: IT WAS A STUPID LINE OK WHY YOU ARGUING???
I mean, it was a pretty quality line, honestly.

Jeez.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

Good point. I have to assume he was being metaphorical since Wakanda shutting themselves off from the entire world means their folks probably weren't put into slavery?

Without posting a spoiler...Killmonger sure was one stupid fuck when it came to military strategy despite all his training...
TheCatt wrote: I mean, it was a pretty quality line, honestly.
It is a good line. You know, once you get past the whole "If you're not in charge you should kill yourself" message.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I still haven't seen it, so I still have no context :)
Troy

Black Panther

Post by Troy »

Black Jeopardy on SNL had a Black Panther character on it. Pretty damn funny - I haven't even seen the movie yet.

thibodeaux

Black Panther

Post by thibodeaux »

I am surprised nobody made a fuss about the blue gums.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

Black Panther is one of only 3 moves to pass $700 million at the domestic box office.

I'm not saying white --> black racism isn't a thing or an issue, but can we stop pretending it's as big of an issue as we do?

By the way, I specified it that way because saying the word "racism" generally implies only white people are racist to black people and that's a load of shit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

They defined racism in that way. It's done, Nazi. You're gonna get punched.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: By the way, I specified it that way because saying the word "racism" generally implies only white people are racist to black people and that's a load of shit.
There's a notion that racism can only truly be a problem when you have power in a dynamic.

I would not agree with the above statement, but racism is certainly more of a problem when you have the power to implement it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: There's a notion that racism can only truly be a problem when you have power in a dynamic.
I'm familiar with that claim, although you skewed it. The claim is that only people with power can be racist, which is insanity.

Every race has racists towards every other race. You don't need to hold power over someone to be racist. But yes, the racism you can dole out increases if you have the power to affect more people. However, that doesn't make everyone else's racism less shitty.

Plus, I would argue that the court of Public Opinion, which can't be measured by graphs, has given minorities a lot more power to be racist than whites right now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

Offhand, I would claim that first chart is bullshit. There has to be some cherry picking. Last I heard, more white people were on welfare, than black.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Offhand, I would claim that first chart is bullshit. There has to be some cherry picking. Last I heard, more white people were on welfare, than black.
75% of the people on welfare are white. That's a 100% true fact I knew back in the late 80s, early 90s.

However, actual numbers and percentages can paint different pictures. The overall percentage of whites on welfare was much lower, while the number of black people on welfare was much higher.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Last I heard, more white people were on welfare, than black.
I think you need to take a statistics class.

There's a lot more white people than black people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by GORDON »

I think you need to.take a shut your piehole class.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I think you need to.take a shut your piehole class.
lol

But, no, those wealth statistics are extremely valid, not cherry-picked.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Panther

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I think you need to.take a shut your piehole class.
I laughed.
Vince

Black Panther

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Offhand, I would claim that first chart is bullshit. There has to be some cherry picking. Last I heard, more white people were on welfare, than black.
The first chart is kind of bullshit. The numbers are accurate, but they're implying a cause of race that isn't there, at least when comparing whites and blacks. When you pull from both races people that finish high school, wait until they're married to have children, and (I think was included) came from a two parent home, the two groups are fairly comparable in income. Actually, black women from that subgroup tends to outperform both whites and men on income on average.

I'd suspect if you limit the Hispanic pool to the above and also include those that come from families that immigrate here legally, that the results would be similar. My niece has a good friend that falls into that category, and she and her family have been pretty successful. Also, her mom wouldn't let her date Hispanic men,
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren