New Mutants

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

I posted elsewhere that this property was being developed. Well, here's the team.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Re: New Mutants

Post by Malcolm »

Magik, Cannonball, and a shitload of other characters I can't remember or give a fuck about? I'm a-quiver with anticipation.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I always thought Magik was terrible. Again, magic based stuff, so I tune out.

Loved Cannonball and Sunspot. The others were boring, except Warlock. Picture The Mask except as a living breathing person. Not sure what they'll be doing with him.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Warlock? The alien bio-tech dude. Yeah, I guess he was alright.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

This actually looks good.

GORDON
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by GORDON »

So, uh.... is this an X-Man thing, or what?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

It appears to be a horror superhero film, which is a different way to go. Looks good. Could be good. Might completely suck. We'll see.

The thing that really stands out to me is it appears Fox is dumping the bright colors normally associated with superheros and are overreacting to Logan's success.
Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

Actual trailer as the movie is finally coming out April 3rd

https://youtu.be/W_vJhUAOFpI
Vince

New Mutants

Post by Vince »

Not moving my interest meter.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by GORDON »

All the time it gets safer and safer to figure the movie sucks, and just wait for the surprised and positive word of mouth.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

New Mutants

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: All the time it gets safer and safer to figure the movie sucks, and just wait for the surprised and positive word of mouth.
Watched it tonight, and this is exactly what happened to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not great. Loads of teen angst, and it takes a long, long time to get to the really good stuff. However, the cast is excellent and it wasn't as terrible as I expected.

There will be minor spoilers regarding powers that might help you understand more about the film. It's biggest flaw is that it really tells you nothing, so if you don't know the characters, you'll be lost.

Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy (Queen's Gambit), Charlie Heaton (Stranger Things), and Alice Braga are the big names. There's only two other cast members, if you don't count CGI, and they were fine.

Maisie is Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane), a character I always thought was a super low rent Wolverine knock off. Anya is Illyana Rasputin (Magik). Does that name sound familiar? It's Colossus' little sister. Heaton is Sam Guthrie (Cannonball). Braga is Dr. Reyers. (This casting was interesting as I thought Reyes was black in the book, but maybe she was Latino?) Henry Zaga, who I don't know, plays Robert da Costa (Sunspot). Finally, Blu Hunt, another actor that's unknown to me, plays Dani Moonstar, a character I thought was boring as shit in the books.

I have to admit, they nail the personalities pretty well. I think that's what helped me enjoy the movie. However, they don't particularly nail the powers super well, worse still, they don't explain them. I'm certain the plan was for more movies to really delve into the characters, but that's obviously not happening. So here's a quick primer: Cannonball is invincible when he's moving. Sunspot is super powerful and hot (temperature), but he's really underplayed here. Wolfsbane is basically a werewolf, but with advanced healing ala Wolverine. Moonstar is a psionic, so able to give life to thoughts. Dr. Reyes controls forcefields. Magik has a deep connection with hell/limbo. When you see her porting, that's where she's going. Her sword is a soul sword and she walks the line of good and evil. She's easily one of the most complex characters in the Marvel universe, so she's a tough one to just throw in like this.

If you want to know about the guy behind the place. Holler at me. He's a whole other topic that you won't get if you've never read the books.

Anyway, the story is that Dani survives a tragedy and is brought to this facility for treatment. That's not exactly what's going on, I mean it is, but it isn't. The others are also there being treated. Dr. Reyes runs the place, seemingly by herself.

I just realized that hitting the story summary 7 paragraphs into this is really a great review of the movie...

It's not great. I would say it's just passable. It has moments and the actors really do their best. I also really dug the darker tone, and the one guys from limbo are really cool looking. Ultimately though, I understand why Disney didn't like it. Without a full universe, like the MCU, to fill in a lot of the blanks the audience is going to be confused unless they know the source material. This superhero film is more character driven, and assumes you know them all. Not the way to go in the debut movie for a B level super team.

I was entertained despite 2/3rds of the movie just being a talker.