Black Mirror - Yay! Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I should probably watch this series... maybe after the Defenders.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You're never seen any Black Mirror or just the new season?

You will kick yourself for not watching sooner.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

None
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: You will kick yourself for not watching sooner.
Then we're back here.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Way too much TV for me to keep up with these days
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
Malcolm wrote:S3E4: San Junipero

The story starts out with two chicks in the '80s. It's extremely difficult to go into much more detail because it goes somewhere way the fuck else after that. I'll say the writer most likely played or read up on a certain MMOG to prep for this, which I'm not even going to link to because it'd kill things. This is the first ep of the season that I'd call "good."
I liked it as well. Beautifully shot.

The ending though...there was more than one way to interpret that right?
Been putting this off since season 2, because as a show, it's so fucking bleak. "Shut Up and Dance" nearly broke me, due to the aforementioned bleakness.

Spoilers follow.

But "San Junipero..." whew. I don't need to open my wrists, though I could see it coming. They left you hanging right to the end.

As for different ways to interpret it... it makes one question the nature of reality, overall. Is your consciousness in a voluntary Matrix real? Choose yes or choose no, but the reality is that a woman who spent most of her life as a lonely quadriplegic finally found a way to be happy, and to dance. I like happy endings.

And I also hope that massive warehouse of souls has a really good disaster recovery system.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
S3E5: Men Against Fire
The weakest episode of any season so far. It was immediately obvious what was happening.

Some really strange script and directorial decisions too. I'm not one to complain about gratuitous nudity, but the sex scene was completely pointless.

I will give it credit for not being an anti-military movie, but an anti-government movie.
I thought"dream sex" was an interesting incentive for them to rack up kills. It was implied that it was their only sexual release.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Most Hated in the Nation...

Sort of.Jay and Silent Bob's wet dream about kicking the asses of internet trolls.

Why are you reading this far I to the thread if you haven't seen it? Spoilers.

There was a mistake, though, a think. When the journalist is killed, it showed her window open a crack. When the cops.get there, they note the window.is secured from the inside. Woops.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: S4 E2 - ArkAngel

Directed by Jodie Foster.

This will strongly appeal to mothers and give parents something to discuss.

Everyone else might think it to be boring. To be fair, it is at times.
I think to qualify it even more, one has to have been a parent to an hormonal daughter to fully appreciate this one. Is Jodi Foster one such?

Anyway, this one has lots of things to discuss. It's one thing to lojac your kid for peace of mind, but that obviously went way beyond that. First the daughter wasn't allowed to gradually become desensitized to the ugliness of the world, but even then she didn't seem to be permanently damaged by it. I knew plenty of teen girls who were just like her, when I was a teen guy. But then she learned she had no.privacy, and no.secrets, and went off the deep end.

Her actions didn't seem that unusual, as for what teenagers do to teach other. I think the lesson here is that parents are REALLY better off accepting the illusion that their kids are innocent angels.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: S4 E3 - Crocodile

Worst episode of the season so far. No twists. Very predictable.
But an interesting view of what happens when memories become admissible as evidence. Suddenly, it behooves you to kill everyone with eyes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: S4 E4 - Hang the DJ

The highest rated episode on IMDB. It's a good one, but E1 is still my favorite.
Very clever.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: S4 E5 - Metalhead

Apparently, this is the most polarizing episode. If you need backstory and explanation, you're going to hate this episode.

I have no idea what was meant to be accomplished, but it was a cool ride. Of course, I dig "end of the world" scenarios as a backdrop to entertainment.

I do get the criticism though as a traditional story is not told. You're basically only watching a second act.
Spoilers, still.

I get what they were doing... so much lost, for so (relatively) little.

My only criticism would be.... they risked so much, for such a little thing. Then I realized the risk was even greater, because the dogs were every fucking where. They shouldn't have tried, even if it was a sweet reason. Like... at the end, it seemed like there was NO WAY they would make it, and they should have known that. Just dumb.

But good story, overall. I like when they feel they don't need to splain everything.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, all done, and caught up.

I was anxious to start season 3, some of it is so damned bleak, and I wasn't in the mood. I get Black Mirror anxiety.

But glad I'm all caught up now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Also, regarding last episode, creators: "Hey, have the son be played by a girl, and don't even address it. Oh man we get so much progress street cred then."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw this on the news this morning.

Apparently, the next season will have a "choose your own adventure" episode. No idea how they'll pull that off, but if it does well Netflix might try some more.

I'm torn.

It might be a cool gimmick, but can you just tell me a fucking story?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I bet it's like that little video game we played a few months ago where you stab/don't stab the woman in the cave.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It might be a cool gimmick, but can you just tell me a fucking story?
I used to wonder why there weren't more things like this. But think about it... every time you have a significant story branch, you've double your work. That adds up quickly after only a few decisions.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Finally watched episode 1... That was brutal
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Some of these episodes are insanely bleak. I didn't watch the last season for almost a year, I was waiting to feel strong enough to deal with it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Some of these episodes are insanely bleak. I didn't watch the last season for almost a year, I was waiting to feel strong enough to deal with it.
It's certainly bleak. Episode 2 was a bit boring for the eventual payoff, I found episode 3 more disturbing, but better.