Venom (2018)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Venom

Post by Leisher »

It's not great, but it's not horrible either.

It shits all over the source material. The correct origin story is from Secret Wars back in the 80s. Spidey and all the other Marvel heroes, and villains, were taken to a false world to battle for the entertainment of the Beyonder. While there Spidey was trying to repair his suit and a machine spit out the symbiote that would become Venom. Here some humans found them on a comet. All of the symbiotes in the books are pieces of that original suit. Here, they are individuals given their own personalities and whatnot. Keep in mind, the symbiotes in the books know everything their host knew. That made things far more interesting as Venom, the new Venom, Carnage, etc. all knew Peter Parker's secrets.

This time its all about selfish do-gooder Eddie Brock as he risks everything and everyone to expose an evil businessman. However, the businessman is trying to save the world in his own way. Shit happens and the rest of the film is all about the CGI.

Hardy is great being the good guy loser.

There's cool stuff, and there's crappy stuff. The love interest is one of the worst parts of the movie. The lady playing her is fine, but the role is unrealistic. The fight scenes are cool-ish.

The biggest problem is Venom without Spidey. Venom is a Spiderman bad guy and ally. He mimics a lot of Spider-Man's abilities, so without even having Parker as a host...

The mid-credits scene sets up Carnage, but damn does he look silly with that wig.

In a world without Marvel, this would rank higher. Unfortunately, this is a world with Marvel, and it feels very amateur hour next to those films. Even the CGI seems subpar.

But I was entertained, so I'd say it's worth seeing once. Still, they can do better.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Venom (2018)

Post by GORDON »

That wasn't a prequel, that was a decent chunk of the actual movie.

I liked it well enough. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible. Could have used a better script writer probably.... some of the dialogue was stilted.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Venom (2018)

Post by GORDON »

ha, I didn't see you said the exact same "not great not terrible" before I wrote my review. I didn't see the second page at all, prior.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."