Star Wars: Ep VIII - probably a rip-off of Ep V

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hamill isn't a fan of the direction for Luke.

I look at this two ways:
1. Hamill has had some weird ideas for Luke in the past that, thankfully, never saw the big screen.
2. Still, this makes me nervous that they're going to make Luke a bad guy. That would betray every bit of storytelling to this point, alienate all those parents bringing their kids for this new generation of SW films, and generally be a shitty idea. Why do I feel like this is the way they're going?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

As for #2, until it gets Lucas bad, then they can't dirty up the pig anymore than it already is. This franchise is like Alien and Terminator -- should've stopped after two flicks and went out as a king.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If they are basing the "Luke goes bad" guess based on his line in the trailer, then I can see how he can say that without going bad.

In the prequels the Jedi were this gigantic extra-government force for whom the laws didn't seem to apply. They could do what they wanted whenever they wanted and no one was going to arrest them. They could even kill and maim with impunity. In the end they couldn't tell when were being straight-manipulated to forward the agenda of a megalomaniacal leader. A powerful group for whom there were never any checks nor balances.

If THAT was what Luke was talking about needing to be destroyed, then yeah, probably a good thing.

It isn't like he can just "destroy all the jedi" because the universe will just keep making more force-sensitive peeps.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw a theory that Rey is a Palpatine.

Here it is if you want to watch it:

That's interesting. It would completely flip the script and probably bring Kylo to the light and move Rey to the dark side.

It also matches Disney's marketing of the film. They thought Kylo would be the breakout character. They didn't realize it would be Rey. Point being, perhaps they were showing their cards regarding Kylo's future?

That being said, I don't buy it. I think Disney enjoys their hero females and the Star Wars universe is sorely lacking them.

That doesn't mean she's not a Palpatine. I just think she'll stay on the light side.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I need what he's smoking. No way. Seriously, Kylo the Galactic Pussy?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Another Death Star?

Please don't let this be true.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

4th time's a charm?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Is anyone else getting the vibe that Disney isn't all that smart and the Marvel success was more of a happy accident than competence?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Whenever I see things like this I start getting the feeling the executives are putting their fingers in the pie more and more, wanting to be a bigger part of the success.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Is anyone else getting the vibe that Disney isn't all that smart and the Marvel success was more of a happy accident than competence?
Actually, the way Disney runs their mergers is to let those companies operate on their own. Their philosophy is "They know their product and market better than we do." Disney just consults and helps with support, logistics, marketing, etc.

So Marvel's success and Pixar's is directly related to Disney executives backing off.

WB does the exact opposite and that's why DC films have been complete shit except for the solid, but overrated Wonder Woman.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You're solid but overrated
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Actually, the way Disney runs their mergers is to let those companies operate on their own. Their philosophy is "They know their product and market better than we do." Disney just consults and helps with support, logistics, marketing, etc.
Had they done that, they would have kept Lucas on with a more active role. So in the case of the Star Wars properties, they really didn't do that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lucas was plainly batshit insane. He would've made 3 more movies about Muppets.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: Actually, the way Disney runs their mergers is to let those companies operate on their own. Their philosophy is "They know their product and market better than we do." Disney just consults and helps with support, logistics, marketing, etc.
Had they done that, they would have kept Lucas on with a more active role. So in the case of the Star Wars properties, they really didn't do that.
No sir, you are wrong. Lucasfilm is still in charge of Star Wars' canon and creative direction. Just because Lucas is gone doesn't mean shit.

Stan Lee isn't with Marvel anymore and you don't see Disney needing to hire him back on for their movies.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote:
No sir, you are wrong. Lucasfilm is still in charge of Star Wars' canon and creative direction. Just because Lucas is gone doesn't mean shit.

Stan Lee isn't with Marvel anymore and you don't see Disney needing to hire him back on for their movies.
No sir, I'm right. I was referring to George Lucas. He was no longer part of the creative process (and the Eps. VII showed it). And someone jettisoned all the canon except the films. Really don't know if it was Lucasfilm or Disney. Not sure how good of an idea that was. Time will tell.

You're right that Stan Lee isn't with Marvel anymore, but he wasn't involved with them when Disney bought that IP. Entirely different story with Lucasfilms and George.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No, Lucas was terribly hurt by the critical and fan response to the prequels. He sold because he was done with it. Later he suffered some buyer's remorse because it is his baby, so that's to be expected. However, if you do some research you'll see that the true brains behind everything were all the other people at Lucasfilms and they're all there and still in charge.

Stan Lee left his creations because he was brilliant enough to know that giving them to other people to tell their stories means they'll live forever. He's taking great joy out of watching his babies soar beyond his wildest dreams. Lucas doesn't seem to have that ability yet.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

They should make George Lucas do cameos in all the movies. Including CG ret-conned cameos for the original films.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: No, Lucas was terribly hurt by the critical and fan response to the prequels. He sold because he was done with it. Later he suffered some buyer's remorse because it is his baby, so that's to be expected. However, if you do some research you'll see that the true brains behind everything were all the other people at Lucasfilms and they're all there and still in charge.
George Lucas was the creative vision behind everything. Other people did the work for him, but it was under his direction. Simply watch the DVD extras and you'll see how everything funneled through him. They'd bring him a number of concept ideas for this or that and he'd point out what he liked and what he liked about them and what they needed to do to make them usable by him.

There was obviously something different because all the planets in Eps VII were not only unremarkable, they didn't even make much sense. And the story line is shaping up to be kind of a hot mess.

I remember one of the lead programmers for one of the video games talking about how difficult it was to come up with a pitch that George would sign off on. His #1 rule was it had to tell a story. They came up with a game about a wookie in a warrior clan and George asked them how they were going to tell a story where the main characters didn't speak English and sent them back to the drawing board.