Star Wars: Ep VIII - probably a rip-off of Ep V

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Franky fucking Four Fingers and Dr. Ellie Sattler are in.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: Ep VIII - probably a rip-off of Ep V

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

I think it would hilarious if instead of ripping off Episode V they blatantly lift the plot from The Last Samurai
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:I think it would hilarious if instead of ripping off Episode V they blatantly lift the plot from The Last Samurai
Or, The Last Starfighter.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote:I think it would hilarious if instead of ripping off Episode V they blatantly lift the plot from The Last Samurai
Or, The Last Starfighter.
That would be awesome!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Here's an interesting quote:
Perk of being @WaltDisneyCo CEO: seeing The Last Jedi early. Bob Iger calls it "a great next chapter in the iconic Skywalker family saga."
I still think she's going to end up being Han and Leia's and was hidden away thanks to Kylo Ren.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hmm.
The official Spain Star Wars Twitter account recently tweeted the Spanish version of the title for “Star Wars” episode eight. Whereas in English, “The Last Jedi” alludes to the possibility of only one Jedi left standing, the Spanish title, “Los Últimos Jedi,” refers to the Jedi in the plural sense. If they were referring to only one Jedi, the title would read “El Último Jedi.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Damn you foreign language spoilers!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but Jedi can be plural all by itself.

Thus, the title has always been able to mean "This last dude or gal right here is the final final Jedi" or "These folks right here are the last Jedi".

Also, I've heard the whole story is about _______ and ____ is the "last Jedi".
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Really it's a regional thing.

Down south if you're talking to a single one, you say, "Y'all's a Jedi." But if there are more then one, then you say, "All y'all's Jedi."

Not sure how that works in mexico-talk or whatever they say in spain.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Not sure how that works in mexico-talk or whatever they say in spain.
The adjective "ultimos" has both number and gender. In this case, it's explicitly saying "more than one last Jedi."
"This last dude or gal right here is the final final Jedi" or "These folks right here are the last Jedi".
English leaves it ambiguous. Romance languages do not. The former interpretation is impossible given the Spanish translation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I know I was kidding. I actually took a couple years of mexico-talk in college.

Interesting fact, the word "salsa" translates directly into english as "mexican ketchup." True story.

Goddam I'm on fire lately.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but Jedi can be plural all by itself.
Yeah, it was just as ambiguous as Gordon's sexuality until they translated it. A lot of people assumed they meant singular.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but Jedi can be plural all by itself.
Yeah, it was just as ambiguous as Gordon's sexuality until they translated it. A lot of people assumed they meant singular.
I'm kind of assuming the mantle gets passed to Rey. The question is whether Luke is going to pull an Obi-Wan.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The question is whether Luke is going to pull an Obi-Wan.
We're keeping this thread spoiler free, but I'm pretty sure that question has already been spoiled by Hamill or somebody...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I hope Rey kills Kylo with ten minutes left, then Darth CG appears via hologram and says, "Took you long enough to match up to my intern. Anyhow, here's my real apprentice," as we look up to see a resurgent Darth Maul's torso attached to cyber-spider legs skitter out before he runs Luke through with his lightsaber.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I want to punch the shitfuck that wrote this article titled "Star Wars Episode IX Will Bring Back Carrie Fisher Without CGI." Except that if you read far enough in...
Fisher, as well as Carrie's daughter Billie Lourd, both gave the studio approval to use recent footage for the upcoming film, though CGI will also play a big part.