Star Wars: Ep VIII - probably a rip-off of Ep V

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if I would have liked this better if it had non been a Star Wars movie.
I saw that comment somewhere. Along the lines of "it would have been fine as Guardians of The Galaxy movie".
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: However, it's also fair to point out how different the tone was, how certain story lines that people talked about for YEARS resulted in massive silent farts, how the humor was really forced and not organic, the WTF? science behind that Leia scene (you know the one), and how Jedi went from bad ass warriors to gods...
I think I'm the only one on the board that hasn't seen it, and I don't care about spoilers.

I heard about the Leia scene. Bad. And it sounds like they've made the Jedi more of super heroes with the x factor or bitten by a radio active spider than disciplined and trained warrior knights. So that's not just changing the tone, that's changing the mythos. 10x worse than the introduction of Midi-chlorians.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The only thing I was wondering about the Leia scene is was Kyle Ren using his force powers? There was nothing in the movie to say it, but he did explicitly not kill her.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh snap.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Ooops, didn't realize this was the non-spoiler thread. Got thrown off by an earlier comment.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

So... is the Phasma silver stormtrooper armor the new Star Wars/Disney version of the pussy hat?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid said her armor was.made of.the hull of Amidalas Naboo ship.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Other than cool armor, not really sure why they're making her a thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Ooops, didn't realize this was the non-spoiler thread. Got thrown off by an earlier comment.
Here's a spoiler: This movie sucks.
Vince wrote: Other than cool armor, not really sure why they're making her a thing.
The most wasted character since Boba Fett.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:The most wasted character since Boba Fett.
At least Boba Fett had original cool armor. Hers was just silver and big.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Bombed in China.
BUT THEY HAD DIVERSITY AZN GIRL!!!1
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Definitely a spoiler for Episode VIII below, which sucked and you shouldn't care if it gets spoiled.

This is also possibly a spoiler for Episode IX, which most people aren't excited for anymore. Something Disney knows as fact, which makes this more interesting.

Remember when Kylo told Rey she was a nobody like her parents? (One of the MANY complaints people have about SW:TLJ.)

Retcon might be incoming...

In related news, a key point about Episode VIII that few places are talking about is the franchise's financials. (I'm pretty sure I saw a WSJ article on it or another source with similar reputation.) If you go on YouTube or Google, you'll find an opinion to match yours, hate or love the movie. However, one thing that is based on fact is box office numbers, and more importantly, everything else Star Wars. Ep VIII made money, yes. However, it also saw the biggest drop off in SW history, 67%. Repeat viewing simply disappeared. It bombed in China as well. There's also reports that Disney really regrets all the deaths in the movie. Finally, tie in merchandise is stagnating on shelves. This is a massive issue that has really gotten the attention of Disney. They might actually be realizing that Ep VIII told their core audience to go fuck themselves.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Thinking more about this...

If JJ Abrams starts Ep IX with a shot of Rey bursting up from sleeping only to walk outside and see Luke, making Ep VIII a dream, will he be the biggest hero in Hollywood history?
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I assumed Kylo COULD have been lying if they really wanted Rey to not be nobody.

Also, jeez will they cut it out with the trope of people bursting up panting and gasping from/sleeping/coma/whatever? That's more a cliche in the films now than "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Also, jeez will they cut it out with the trope of people bursting up panting and gasping from/sleeping/coma/whatever?
I was just throwing that out as an example of what JJ could do to ensure he's a legend forever.
thibodeaux wrote: "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Mark Hamill was discussing how that line, or some form of it, is said in every SW film.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Mark Hamill was discussing how that line, or some form of it, is said in every SW film.
That's why I said it
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I wonder if Disney is as happy as he has s that the fans hated his movie.