Star Wars: Ep VIII - probably a rip-off of Ep V

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Vince

Post by Vince »

thibodeaux wrote: They should make George Lucas do cameos in all the movies. Including CG ret-conned cameos for the original films.
Heheh... have him in place of the fat X-wing pilot in the original.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

George Lucas lost whatever spark of brilliance he may have had in the years after Jedi, and he literally made a joke of the franchise with the prequels. Disney was very smart to keep him away with a 10 foot pole, even if the stuff they are making now has a different tone.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: George Lucas lost whatever spark of brilliance he may have had in the years after Jedi, and he literally made a joke of the franchise with the prequels. Disney was very smart to keep him away with a 10 foot pole, even if the stuff they are making now has a different tone.
To me, he still had the same strengths and weaknesses throughout the series. He was brilliant at creating immersive and living worlds. He could craft a good plot. He could never direct for shit. He was just fortunate that among the actors he hired there were a number that were just incapable of a bad performance anywhere (Ford, Guiness, Cushing, McGregor, Neeson). Many of the others I've seen give solid performances in other roles, but just really sucked in the Star Wars movies. That was where Lucas was always really weak. He couldn't recognize performances that just looked bad.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I need context for what is normal.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I had read somewhere previously that the studio got 100% of the profits from the first week of a movie's release, and then the percentage dropped weekly from there, while the theater's would climb the longer the film played.

So this asking for a strict percentage for a film's entire run is new information for me.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Good.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Good.
Yes. I'd like to see a lot of theaters refuse to run it while they're pushing this BS. It really wouldn't take a whole lot for it to impact the opening weekend numbers. And Disney is more about image than anything else. They start getting press about a drop in opening weekend numbers compared to earlier releases, then they'll get control of themselves.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Big spoiler making unavoidable headline news this morning.

I'm actually amazed the studio has allowed this person to discuss their character in this way.

This was a VERY talked about subject leading up to the film, but perhaps this is in response to the very negative tone of that speculation?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'd been avoiding it until your link. :)
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'd have to see the pieces that have angered Disney before deciding whose side I'm on here.

If good reporting was done that put Disney in a bad light, shame on them for not fixing the issue and instead taking this tact.

If shody reporting was done that put Disney in a bad light, shame on the reporters and shame on their brethren for not calling them on it.
Vince

Post by Vince »

What I'm seeing on Twitter is that Disney demanded a retraction of the story, but isn't denying the reporting isn't true.

This seems to be one of the articles. Pretty much the same arguments that are made against the sports franchises. Tons of tax breaks being given to a business that's making money hand over fist. This is really a stupid way for Disney to handle this. They could go the PR route and give numbers on how much is brought into the city in tourist dollars. This is just a stupid way to handle this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

In that case, I would not be on Disney's side.

Although, I think there are some interesting observations that could be made about all these corporations that preach left wing stuff involving bigger government, yet who don't want to pay taxes in a very right wing way.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: What I'm seeing on Twitter is that Disney demanded a retraction of the story, but isn't denying the reporting isn't true.

This seems to be one of the articles. Pretty much the same arguments that are made against the sports franchises. Tons of tax breaks being given to a business that's making money hand over fist. This is really a stupid way for Disney to handle this. They could go the PR route and give numbers on how much is brought into the city in tourist dollars. This is just a stupid way to handle this.
Disney backs down
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Honestly, between Disney and the media with a grudge, who do you support?
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Honestly, between Disney and the media with a grudge, who do you support?
Local media usually isn't as bad as national. Usually. There are always exceptions.

At first when I saw the comments about the stories, I thought this was like the big sports franchises that take advantage of local tax payers to pay for their venues. But then I figured it was different because Disney owns their park. Then I saw the story and it's about the city building a huge parking structure that will be pretty much for Disney and realized it's exactly like the sports franchises screwing the locals.

I'm fine with tax breaks for these businesses and organizations, because it's not the government's money to start with. But taking from the local working stiffs to support them is where I have a problem.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

DIsney giving customers a better experience with parking = more customers = more tax to the local government.

Disney is looking to maximize profits, the media tells lies and does its best to fool you. I'm siding with Disney. All profit media is scum.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The most minor of spoilers and I cannot stress enough MINOR.

There will be a scene with Boyega in an elevator with four Stormtroopers. Those troopers are Prince William, Prince Harry, Gary Barlow, and Tom Hardy.