Movie: The Dark Tower

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Weird that I don't remember anything about him at all.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, he's a yuge character. Roland used his treatment of the boy as a litmus of his dedication to finding the Tower. Nothing was more important than his quest, and the Man in Black threw the boy at him when violence wasn't slowing Roland down... So he tried love, instead.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

According to this the movie is about the boy, not the Gunslinger, for whom the books and movie are named.

Sigh.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/matwhitehead/t ... er-is-here
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The filmmakers aren't attempting to faithfully adapt the books to the screen, but rather continue the story of Jake, Roland, and the Dark Tower using the elements of all of King's novels.
Sigh indeed.

Just stick to the original material.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wow. That's ...odd. I thought Flagg was definitively dead. Then again, doesn't the last book start damn near where the first one ends?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

A bit of a crossover question here: Isn't "The Man in Black" also Flagg from The Stand? I thought I remembered reading that back when I was into King's books, so...the 90s?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Randall Flagg is the identity of a number of King villains. The dude from the stand was one. Also, RF is allegedly He Who Walks Behind the Rows.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If I remember correctly The Stand made it clear he was the anti-Christ.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I reread The Stand last month. It didn't really say that, specifically.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Abridged or unabridged?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Unabridged. My paperback copy is literally 20 plus years old, and the cover is gone.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If I find time tonight I might try to dig something up. I really want to know why I remember this stuff so well.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Actually, I think I meant to say abridged. A longer version was released at some point, right? I have the shorter version.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Actually, I think I meant to say abridged. A longer version was released at some point, right? I have the shorter version.
Yes, the original version was abridged.

I only read the longer one. Not sure it needed the extra pages.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have the long one as well. (Phrasing)

Perhaps it was in there?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

COuldn't say.

Though, there's no reason the prophesied "Antichrist" can't also be Flagg.

He's also in Eyes of the Dragon.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I did some light research while the latest NVidia drivers installed and indeed many things refer to him as "anti-Christ-like", so maybe that's where I picked it up?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I did some light research while the latest NVidia drivers installed and indeed many things refer to him as "anti-Christ-like", so maybe that's where I picked it up?
He's got many of the personality traits. But I don't think he's "the" Antichrist like Damien was.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That review is brutal.