Netflix

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

The books didn't. Ditto for the half of the movie that was true to the books.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I think the Marvel (actually Disney) deal helped prove this would work.

These are different though. These are super hero stories with twists. Should be interesting.
The Marvel deals were successful, but I have no idea how successful they were for Marvel, versus Netflix.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Netflix

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: The books didn't. Ditto for the half of the movie that was true to the books.
My faith in print adaptations is pretty low since since the Alright, Alright, Alright Tower came out. And even if you're right, that's half a flick out of two feature length films.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The books didn't. Ditto for the half of the movie that was true to the books.
I liked the first movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The Marvel deals were successful, but I have no idea how successful they were for Marvel, versus Netflix.
I assume Netflix just paid them up front to develop the shows? I know they've been extremely successful.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: The Marvel deals were successful, but I have no idea how successful they were for Marvel, versus Netflix.
I assume Netflix just paid them up front to develop the shows? I know they've been extremely successful.
Apparently Netflix is giving Disney-Marvel $300 million per year, and this is just a part of the deal. The problem is that Disney can always go shop this stuff to Amazon once the deal's over, I assume?
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
Apparently Netflix is giving Disney-Marvel $300 million per year, and this is just a part of the deal. The problem is that Disney can always go shop this stuff to Amazon once the deal's over, I assume?
They can take their properties anywhere, of course. However, Netflix might have a provision that says Marvel has to leave the Netflix exclusive shows with Netflix. So the IP could travel, but not what's been done.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
They can take their properties anywhere, of course. However, Netflix might have a provision that says Marvel has to leave the Netflix exclusive shows with Netflix. So the IP could travel, but not what's been done.
Disney takes their ball home to play
The films will stay on the service until the end of 2018, while Marvel television shows, such as "Daredevil" and "The Defenders," will stay on Netflix, reports CNBC.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

Won't be subscribing to their service.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Netflix

Post by Malcolm »

Fuck another streaming service to pay for.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Still in conversations with Disney about keeping their content. Specifically, Lucasfilm and Marvel titles.
GORDON
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by GORDON »

If Disney can weaken Netflix's brand by removing all the Disney content, they would be cheaper for Disney to buy outright...
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Right now, Netflix is half of Disney (marketcap, ~80B to $160B)
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

That'd be one hell of an expensive buyout. Could happen later when all studios start pulling their content.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That'd be one hell of an expensive buyout. Could happen later when all studios start pulling their content.
Disney already bought out a majority of BAMTech to have a streaming service. I'm intrigued by ESPN on its own, since that's really all I use cable for.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Nolan hates Netflix.

He doesn't really. He just hates the small screen. He thinks everything should be seen on the big screen.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

I guess a lot of people watch on mobile... I only do that for junk films on the iPad when traveling or working out. I know what movies to see in a theatre.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Signed Ryan Murphy to an exclusive deal.

They also canceled Disjointed. I never saw it, but apparently it starred Cathy Bates and was made by Chuck Lorre.
Leisher
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by Leisher »

Ready Player One's upcoming disappointing box office makes me what to ask: Can we all give Adam Sandler the credit he deserves for a shrewd move?

While Spielberg is struggling to find an audience, Sandler doesn't have to worry about box office numbers. Instead he's making movies he wants to make with friends, getting paid a ton, and breaking brand new, tiny records.

Sandler isn't being called washed up or a has been. He's still relevant and doing his thing because he was smart enough to switch lanes.

In actual Netflix news today:
Obama working on something for them that will be inspirational, not political.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Netflix

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sandler isn't being called washed up or a has been
Speak for yourself.