Moon

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This looks pretty interesting.

http://movies.ign.com/dor....09.html
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

In the future, 70% of the Earth's energy needs will come from hydrogen stripped from rocks on the moon. I think...I kind of missed some of the explanation as I was playing Grand Theft Auto at the time. Anyway, there's an outpost on the moon collecting that energy and it's manned by one person, played by Sam Rockwell. He's joined on the moon by a robot named GERTY voiced by Kevin Spacey.

Sam (also his character's name) is nearing the end of a 3 year contract and will soon be going home. That's when he begins to get ill and starts seeing things. This leads to an accident, which ends up revealing that Sam isn't as alone as he believes. Sam meet Sam. This is not a spoiler, in the previews they show two of him walking around.

The rest of the story is about the two Sams, where they came from, how they react to one another, the first Sam's injuries and illness, and that expiring contract.

Sam Rockwell does a great job. He's playing two people who are in the same situation, but coming into it from two completely different perspectives.

Kevin Spacey's voice earns a mention as it's close to HAL, but with less of an evil edge. I found myself forgetting that it was Spacey later in the film.

I wanted to mention the visuals because it's 2010 and film making has never been more advanced in the area of special effects, however they still can't make moving around and interacting with objects on the moon seem completely real. Just something for the morons who think the moon landing was faked to chew on. They can't make a convincing fake moon encounter in 2010, but they did it in 1969?

This film had some pacing issues in which things would slow down, but not for long. And this is a character piece, so don't expect any romance or guns blazing. This is all about these two Sams figuring out what's going on.

After you've seen the film, check out the imdb message boards regarding potential meanings behind the movie. A couple regarding religion are quite interesting.

The movie ends on a really, really stupid line that one could easily say was a political statement, but it shoudln't hurt your enjoyment of the overall movie.

7 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:I wanted to mention the visuals because it's 2010 and film making has never been more advanced in the area of special effects, however they still can't make moving around and interacting with objects on the moon seem completely real. Just something for the morons who think the moon landing was faked to chew on. They can't make a convincing fake moon encounter in 2010, but they did it in 1969?
I liked this flick. I liked Gerty.... very interesting how the robot interpreted its programming.

I quoted the above bit because the only thing that bugged me is that there is only a 3 second scene where the dude was bouncing around realistically in 1/6 gravity. Besides those 3 seconds, the dude spends a lot of time on a treadmill running normally, for example. Everything else seemed like a realistic near-future moon base except for that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Let me add.... my nitpicking aside, this is a good movie. In fact, there may have been something lost if we were distracted watching the characters bounce around inside the moon base instead of watching the characters.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

That's a really good point. I didn't even notice the gravity change in the station. Probably due to the characters moving the plot so well.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Saw this. Not bad.
70% of the Earth's energy needs will come from hydrogen stripped from rocks on the moon.

Helium-3. An actual thing. If you could deal with mining and transporting it, it's not infeasible.

They can't make a convincing fake moon encounter in 2010

Not with this movie's budget.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Moon

Post by GORDON »

Watched this tonight, with the kid. He liked it.
Vince

Moon

Post by Vince »

David Bowie's son directed.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren