General Marvel Movie & TV Show News

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

That post was a fun rollercoaster.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: And I guess the original Jean Gray. And also Halle Berry.
I was about to say...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

I grew up on comics, but I think I'm getting super hero fatigue.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

It's official. Disney bought Fox studios.

I'm betting this might change the end credits scene for Avengers Infinity War. During my last trip to South Carolina I had a dream that the end credits scene was Cap walking into a bar and sitting down next to someone just off screen. Cap starts talking about something coming, how they've lost people, and they can't do this alone. He can then say he "kept his word and never told anyone about your existence, but now we need you to stop out of the shadows." The camera can then cut to reveal shot of the guy, and it's Wolverine who says, "When and where?"

This should also put the Inhumans back on the shelf where they belong.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

The deal includes Fox’s film and television studios – including franchises such as X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avatar, Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes and Die Hard – as well FX, National Geographic, Fox’s regional sports networks, the company’s 39% stake in Sky, and the Star India cable network. It also includes Fox’s full film library, including the distribution rights to the original Star Wars.
I don't like that Avatar is in there. Seems like Disney will try their best to beat that dead horse.

I love that the distribution rights to the original SW is in there. Maybe we can finally get a proper release of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray or 4K or whatever.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Confirmation that X-Men and FF are joining the MCU.

Also, Deadpool will remain R rated!
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Hemsworth wants to keep playing Thor.

These actors, like Hemsworth and Evans, are getting smarter. They're realizing the Marvel films are putting them at the center of Hollywood. They're making money, people love the films, they're having fun, etc. These films keep them as "hot properties" and get them more roles.

Look at other folks who have no big comic book roles and where their career is at like George Clooney. He's supposedly an A lister, but all his movies are bombs.
thibodeaux

Marvel Movies

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Look at other folks who have no big comic book roles and where their career is at like George Clooney. He's supposedly an A lister, but all his movies are bombs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Wow, that movie was so terrible I forgot it existed.

Let me stipulate: Superhero (or other big name franchise) movies post Iron Man.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Wow, that movie was so terrible I forgot it existed.

I would move your goalpost to Christopher Nolan's Batman. Christian Bale hasn't been hurting for work.

Edited: Looking at the top 10 paid actors in 2017, of the US actors only one (Downey) is a Marvel actor. Top three are Vin Diesel, The Rock, and Mark Wahlburg.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: Wow, that movie was so terrible I forgot it existed.

I would move your goalpost to Christopher Nolan's Batman. Christian Bale hasn't been hurting for work.

Edited: Looking at the top 10 paid actors in 2017, of the US actors only one (Downey) is a Marvel actor. Top three are Vin Diesel, The Rock, and Mark Wahlburg.
I didn't express my thought well enough. My bad. I stuck with Marvel because of the thread and the story about Hemsworth. Not sure why I didn't expand the theory I was going for because I specifically thought of Wahlberg and Transformers while writing it.

My point was that these franchises are maintaining careers far better than just random stand alone movies. Instead of actors making a franchise, franchises are now making actors.

Throughout my life time I've heard numerous actors and actresses shit on the idea of playing one character too often. Typically, these are successful people like Harrison Ford. Even Jennifer Lawrence said that about Mystique, but has since backed away from those comments. In contrast, you have other actors whose entire career was one character. You'll find these actors at any convention signing memorabilia.

However, now the tide is turning. Actors are a dime a dozen and then some. They always were, but now CGI and established properties have removed the need for name actors to headline projects. It's still nice, but names no longer translate to guaranteed box office. They still can, but the guarantee is gone.

Ok, so you brought up Nolan's Batman, but Batman Begins wasn't some massive success. (Those movies actually didn't take off until Heath Ledger died. 2008 was really the year of the superhero films taking off as Iron Man, which is credited for starting the Marvel/superhero phenomenon, and The Dark Knight came out that year.) Where has Christian Bale been since Nolan's Batman? Doing good work, yes, but his public profile has been dramatically reduced. There's even been public stories that he regrets quitting Batman and would do it again.

So let's look at the top 17 paid U.S. actors in 2017 (Three on the list of the top 20 are Bollywood actors) and see what keeps them in the public eye:
Mark Ruffalo - Marvel
Chris Pratt - Marvel/Jurassic Park
Chris Evans - Marvel
Jeremy Renner - Marvel/Bourne
Matt Damon - BoW
Ryan Reynolds - Marvel/DC for a moment/BoW
Ryan Gosling - BoW
Samuel L. Jackson - Marvel/Tarantino/BoW
Tom Hanks - BoW
Chris Hemsworth - Marvel/Star Trek
All 3 Bollywood actors.
Tom Cruise - BoW/Mission Impossible
Robert Downey Jr. - Marvel
Jackie Chan - BoW
Adam Sandler - Netflix/BoW
Vin Diesel - F&F/Marvel (You're forgetting that he's Groot)
The Rock - F&F/DC/WWE
Mark Wahlberg - Transformers

What's "BoW"? Body of work.

9 of 17 are Marvel actors. Only four of the 17 are there solely because of their BoW. One, Jackie Chan, should honestly be omitted from the list like the Bollywood guys. Plus, you could easily argue his biggest exposure to American audiences was the Rush Hour franchise. Where's he been since?

Sandler is the weirdest one on the list. I think he's a fluke. His inclusion is because of one deal with Netflix. Does he get on the list without that deal, and just individual movie releases? Maybe, but not at #4.

So how can we determine who is part of a franchise and who isn't?

Ryan Gosling is definitely on the list because of Blade Runner 2049. There have been two of those and one more is already planned. Does that mean he's only on the list because of franchises?

Ryan Reynolds' BoW has been impressive, but Green Lantern really put him in the public eye for a moment until Deadpool made him a household name.

Tom Cruise has MI, but his 2017 consisted of two movies, one of which was an attempt at starting a new franchise.

So take Hemsworth and Evans out of Marvel, and where will there careers go? Hemsworth will get bye on his looks and build, but Evans might be fucked. If you remember, Evans once thought about leaving Marvel, but has since gone all in saying he doesn't ever want to hang up the shield.

I'm just saying, if I was an actor lucky enough to latch onto a franchise role, the last thing I'd do is leave it. Hell, I'd offer to do drop ins on other movies in that universe just to expand my profile. I've often wondered why Disney hasn't had more "names" drop into SHIELD every now and then to boost ratings.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

I judge the success of movies strictly by their cultural impact over time. Therefore, based in Internet memes alone, Christpher Nolan's Batman series has left all the Marvel movies in the dust.
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I judge the success of movies strictly by their cultural impact over time. Therefore, based in Internet memes alone, Christpher Nolan's Batman series has left all the Marvel movies in the dust.
That is completely off topic...

But I also completely disagree. One image doesn't make a film a success.

https://imgflip.com/i/22e0e3
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: I judge the success of movies strictly by their cultural impact over time. Therefore, based in Internet memes alone, Christpher Nolan's Batman series has left all the Marvel movies in the dust.

That was a terrible meme, and your meme privileges have been revoked.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:

Not the image, but that was one of the memes. The other was the hero we deserve vs the hero we need. I see that one a lot still.

And Catt was right, that was a terrible meme.

Edit to say I was razzing you about the success of the movie being dependent on their cultural impact via memes. Was a fun reaction though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Edit to say I was razzing you about the success of the movie being dependent on their cultural impact via memes.
Right? I mean, I could see TPR throwing that out and at least slightly believing it. From you, I figured you were trolling :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That was a terrible meme, and your meme privileges have been revoked.
It wasn't intended to be any good.
Vince wrote: Edit to say I was razzing you about the success of the movie being dependent on their cultural impact via memes. Was a fun reaction though.
I have absolutely no idea how that relates to the topic that was at hand.
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

Leisher
Site Admin

Marvel Movies

Post by Leisher »

I have absolutely no idea how that relates to the topic that was at hand.

I have a feeling that you're debating something I'm not talking about...
Vince

Marvel Movies

Post by Vince »

I went to bed the other night thinking back to my childhood and the comics I'd read and one popped into my head. I'd say if Marvel can do Guardians of The Galaxy and Antman, they can do Devil Dinosaur! I actually had this one. I give Marvel credit, they were willing to take risks. But along with that, they were merchandising whores. Thinking of the KISS comics and ROM and I forget who the chick was that was supposed to be a spin-off from a Saturday morning show. Dazzler maybe?