The End (1978) - At 'Dem Flicks with Malcolm

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Synopsis:
Burt Reynolds directs himself as a pussy with a terminal illness.

Review:
Burt's a rich pussy who cheats on his wife. One day, his doctor tells him he's got incurable blood poisoning and half a year left. You spend the rest of the film watching him awkwardly try to find peace before dying. After boring the audience to death with laughless silence, the writers commit him to a mental hospital where the action turns to Burt failing to kill himself in spite of Dom DeLuise's help.

This movie fucking sucked. I'm blaming that mainly on the director, Burt goddamn Reynolds, and his inability to pull any humour in any scene from his main star, Burt goddamn Reynolds. I felt like I was watching a SNL show where the guest star couldn't act for shit and every skit got dragged into comedy hell as a result. The setups give him a million chances to get something of a chuckle, especially the part where he's confessing his sins to an 18-year old Robbie Benson. But he can't manage it. His expressions, his timing, everything is just fucking awful.

Verdict:
Forget this movie ever existed.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."