Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

I really don't understand why Hollywood continues to hire people whose sheer incompetence is on full display. People make mistakes, but when everything you've ever touched gets blasted by critics and fans, why are you still getting work?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

The showrunner was fired, and they know season 1 sucked. Based upon this trailer, the fights are indeed MUCH better and the acting seems to be a lot better as well.

I'll be the guinea pig and let you guys know if it's any good. Hopefully Luke Cage shows up for an episode.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

Watched it and I have mixed feelings.

The fighting is WAY better this season. The acting is also much better. The main villain, Davos, is a really good bad guy, and in the Marvel way isn't a black and white evil doer. Typhoid Mary was good and bad. Well acted, but she got a bit hokey in the final episode.

That leads me to my biggest issue with this season: The writing. Those of you familiar with the term "Get woke, go broke" will not like it.

The main character of Iron Fist is a white male, and during the last two episodes of season 2, of a show about HIM, he's a supporting character. I know, I know, I must be a sexist or a racist or whatever "ist" you want to label me. Here's the problem though, the deus ex machina they use this season completely ignores the history of the Iron Fist. I didn't like how they used it for the villain, and I certainly didn't like how they used it to "get woke". When you do something like that it completely cheapens the gimmick your show is centered around.

Another huge problem came during the fights. Danny and Davos were raised from children to be world class fighters. They fought one another for the honor of being the Iron Fist after fighting their way though a shit ton of others like them. They were the final two. Neither are pussies, and they have no equal walking around the streets of New York. Yet they are routinely hit, kicked, knocked down, etc. One of the people that does both to both is Colleen Wing, Danny's girlfriend and former Hand member. You remember the Hand? Daredevil kicked the shit out of half a dozen of them at a time. Wolverine routinely murders scores of them before breakfast. Oh, and a normal female detective with no martial arts training should EVER be able to stand even the slightest chance against any of these people, martial artist masters or special forces member... *sigh* This might be where Iron Fist fails the hardest. The writers don't understand the character and have now spent two seasons neutering him instead of letting him be a hero. Contrast this with how they treat Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. They are the stars of their shows and they are shown using their abilities without issue. Danny Rand has yet to get that treatment in two seasons.

By the way, the Iron fucking Fist does NOT need fight training from a former Hand member. That shit was ridiculously stupid.

I did enjoy the final reveal for Danny. I knew one part of it was going to happen, but the other part, which might surprise you when you see it, IS from the comics. Danny never did it in the comics, but it is from Iron Fist lore. In fact, if I remember correctly, and it's been many, many years, the Iron Fist who had that ability might be the guy they're looking for.

Ward has a better role this season as he combats his own demons. Joy is back and is very conflicted. Her story is about bitterness. Remember in season 1 when Ward was a "bad guy" and Joy was the good girl caught up in it all? Switch their roles this season.

Overall, it was a VAST improvement, but the final two episodes had me rolling my eyes over the shitty writing. The final scene of the show gives us a glimpse of promise though.
GORDON
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by GORDON »

Sounds like I made a good decision giving up on it.

No ragrets.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

Not shocking.

That first season was so fucking bad that it killed most of season 2's chances to succeed.

It also hurt them badly that they strayed from the source material too much, which alienates your core audience.

Them going to the SJW route in S2 certainly didn't help. As the saying goes: "Get woke, go broke."
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

Iron Fist to continue appearing in other Netflix Marvel shows.

I have a feeling while Iron Fist has been cancelled, Netflix/Marvel might be putting together what the fans really want: Power Man and Iron Fist.

That'd be a show featuring best friends, Luke Cage and Danny Rand.
GORDON
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by GORDON »

I heard this is partly because Disney wants all the Marvel shows under their Disneyflix.
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I heard this is partly because Disney wants all the Marvel shows under their Disneyflix.
You heard wrong. :D Netflix made the call to cancel it.

However, you are correct that Marvel will, more than likely, try to consolidate their shows under their own streaming service. Although, I've heard that they do not own the Netflix shows, and thus, they will only get access to them if Netflix lets them go.

I have also heard Kevin Feige hates them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: I have also heard Kevin Feige hates them.
He probably watched the first season of Iron Fist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

Right?

Apparently he hates them all, even Daredevil. I can only assume he believes he has better ideas for them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by GORDON »

IF made me lose most of my interest, and the fact they haven't been made part of the cinematic universe killed the rest. At this point, they don't matter to the ongoing story, so who.cares.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by TheCatt »

We finally got to watching the Defenders show. I watched IF by myself.

Danny shows up and my wife just started rolling her eyes.

That was before I explained how bad the show was.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by TheCatt »

Season 2 of IF was MUCH better than Season 1. Probably helped only being 10 episodes instead of 13. Decreasing Danny's importance helped, too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The main character of Iron Fist is a white male, and during the last two episodes of season 2, of a show about HIM, he's a supporting character. I know, I know, I must be a sexist or a racist or whatever "ist" you want to label me. Here's the problem though, the deus ex machina they use this season completely ignores the history of the Iron Fist. I didn't like how they used it for the villain, and I certainly didn't like how they used it to "get woke". When you do something like that it completely cheapens the gimmick your show is centered around.
I liked it, it worked for me. It did feel a little "Why did they have to train their whole lives for it?," but aside from that "eh". The Danny self-revelation finally got him out of his whiny bitchy self.
Leisher wrote: Oh, and a normal female detective with no martial arts training should EVER be able to stand even the slightest chance against any of these people
She's not normal. The arm to begin with...
Leisher wrote: They are the stars of their shows and they are shown using their abilities without issue. Danny Rand has yet to get that treatment in two seasons.
They've picked the path of those two people being quite emotional unable to control and channel the first. For better or worse, that was their path, and the writers stuck to it.

Honestly, my biggest issue was how easily Davos could summon the fist, in contrast to Danny. It was like just flipping a switch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Iron Fist - Yay Netflix!

Post by Leisher »

Iron Fist is a billion times better in the books. I really understand why Kevin Feige hates this Netflix series and what they've done with the character.

The only positive thing about those last two episodes was the ending with Danny shooting the Iron Fist bullet. Everything else was garbage.