THE Predator

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

PG-13 is, indeed, for pussies.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Predator Reboot

Post by Malcolm »

Keegan's in it?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Predator Reboot

Post by Malcolm »

Billy's out.
Actor Sonny Landham, who appeared in “Predator” and “48 Hrs,” died from congestive heart failure Thursday in Lexington, Ky. He was 76.

The actor, who was part Seminole and part Cherokee, was best known for portraying Native American tracker Billy Sole in Arnold Schwarzenegger-starrer “Predator” in 1987. However, he did not appear in the film’s sequels.

Landham’s early work in the 1970s included several X-rated films, but after appearing in Walter Hill’s 1979 street-gang thriller “The Warriors,” Landham often portrayed the tough guy in 1980s films including roles in “Action Jackson” and “Lock Up.” With over 50 acting credits to his name, Landham continued to appear in films through the 1990s.
And an episode of "The A-Team."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by Leisher »

Official synopsis.
From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home in Shane Black’s explosive reinvention of the Predator series. Now, the universe’s most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.
That does not fill me with anticipation...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: and a disgruntled science teacher
yeah.

Unless it's Walter White.
Leisher
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by Leisher »

In the past, a September release has meant the studio doesn't have a lot of faith in a movie...

Leisher
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by Leisher »

Red Band trailer makes it look a little better, but so far I've been very underwhelmed by how this movie looks.

GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

I'm kind of hoping for a wacky"The Expendables" vibe that also happens to have Predators... And not the typical Predator horror movie.
thibodeaux

Predator Reboot

Post by thibodeaux »

Went to see this. It was about as dumb as you can expect. Lots of F-bombs. Dumb plot that tries to setup a sequel but I'm sure that's contingent on this movie making some money.

The humor wasn't very good. Mostly wacky hijinks from the lunatic squad (including the bald buy from Key and Peele) and a few lame callbacks to the original.
Vince

Predator Reboot

Post by Vince »

Stop with the reboots! If you have a story to tell, tell the damned story! If you don't, sit the fuck down! All this shit is just pandering. Either to women or minorities or the nerds that grew up loving the originals.

Just stop! You're ruining everything.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

I'm weary of calling sequels "reboots" just because it took a while to get made.

If they are scrapping the story that came before, fine, reboot. If it is a continuation of the same story, sequel.

Get it right, millennials.
thibodeaux

Predator Reboot

Post by thibodeaux »

Yeah I don't see this as a reboot bc it's definitely a sequel.
Vince

Predator Reboot

Post by Vince »

If it sucks so bad I refuse to consider it canon, then in my mind it's a reboot. Or a bad dream. But definitely a waste of money or time.

Like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. Those were part of a reboot that soiled the original ;-)
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

I don't know why this movie got trashed so hard. It was pretty much exactly what I had hoped they'd do with the characters, in that setting. Some of the criticism was that they were adding a new motivation for what the predators were doing, and why they did it... and I was ok with that, because they addressed it in the film.

I always wonder about predator accountants and garbage men....

Anyway, I liked the characters (not personally, I liked them doing something different than just having a group constantly outclassed and/or panicking). The movie was better than the harsh criticism it seems to have gotten. Just looked it up... it was better than the 33% RT score.
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: I'm kind of hoping for a wacky"The Expendables" vibe that also happens to have Predators... And not the typical Predator horror movie.
I feel like this is what they did.
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

Oh! The very ending. I forgot.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the original intention for what was going to come out of the person-shaped pod. I've read speculation that... well, spoilers, probably. I wish we had a spoilers tag that would obfuscate text until clicked upon.

But what came out of the pod was kind of dumb, and didn't seem to fit the tone of the rest of the movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by Leisher »

Despite having some fun elements, it mostly just plain sucked.

Who was this movie for? It was like a family adventure movie, but with gore, violence, and cursing. Oh, and a dog.

In the books, the Predators are extremely honorable hunters. They only kill those with weapons and they are essentially the universe's counter to Aliens. And yes, that's what I was expecting to be in the pod at the end. Instead we got more cartoons.

After this steaming pile of shit the only hope this franchise has left is a reboot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Predator Reboot

Post by GORDON »

Been half-paying attention to it tonight, on TV. I love the wacky crazy military brig rats. I like that we have a Predator movie where it isn't just a bunch of schmucks wandering around in the dark until they get yoinked by their spines into a pile of gore, until the woman of color finally outfights it. These guys are confident and competent and pretty much unfazed by the fact the sun came up in a prison bus, and went down armed to the teeth in a game of WHO'S THE BEST HUNTER with an alien.
GORDON
Site Admin

THE Predator

Post by GORDON »

Some compromises were made by accountants and executives, but this is an underrated film.