Game of Thrones  *SPOILERS* - For the nights dark and full of SPOILERS

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, basically,

-Jon saw both Bran and Arya for the first time since episode 2.
-Arya saw Gendry and the Hound for the first time since Season 3.
-Tyrion and Sansa saw one-another for the first time since the purple wedding.
-Jon flew a fucking dragon.
-Theon rescued his sister from Euron.
-Euron and Cercei fucked.
-Even fucking Qyburn is like "yo, it is super not good that the dead have advanced beyond the wall."
-Sam learned about the fate of his family.
-The Dead killed all the Umbers and everybody in their castle and the Night King left some really fucking creepy child guts art.
- Jon learned he's heir to the Seven Kingdoms and has been fucking his aunt.
-Oh, and Brandon faced off with the guy who pushed him out a fucking window in episode goddam one.

There are only 6 episodes until the end. There are now 5 left. These are all plot threads that have been running for 9 years. When did you expect to have them closed, for the denouement? I thought the episode, and character positioning, was exciting, as I've been on board since the beginning, approximately 20% of my life.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: -Jon flew a fucking dragon.
I'll be honest, I hated this scene. The moves those dragons were pulling would have tossed them off with ease. Did you see what they're holding onto?

As for the rest of it, I saw all that, and it's interesting. It just wasn't particularly exciting.

Don't take that the wrong way. I'm not hating on anything, it was just character progression, which I love, but I wasn't salivating. I think I might have been expecting more of a massive event for the first episode and then an episode like this one for ep2.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I saw speculation that the "Eddie" the prostitutes were discussing was Ed Sheeran's character.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I liked S8E2. I like character moments, like everybody chilling around a fire on their last night of life, sharing warmth.

However, I'm not sure if it speaks to my growing skill as a writer, or the GOT writer's suckiness, but I found myself predicting the next lines, over and over. So either I'm good or they're bad, is what I'm saying.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I liked S8E2. I like character moments, like everybody chilling around a fire on their last night of life, sharing warmth.
Me too. It's definitely slow, but they're giving all the characters one last moment to show the audience who they are before they die.

Although, I was honestly thinking during the episode, "And people think The Walking Dead is slow."
GORDON wrote: However, I'm not sure if it speaks to my growing skill as a writer, or the GOT writer's suckiness, but I found myself predicting the next lines, over and over. So either I'm good or they're bad, is what I'm saying.
How about neither? These episodes are predictable for a reason: They're what people want. This is Return of the King's ending, just done before the big fights because not everyone is going to live. These are the happy endings most of them won't get later. Thus, you know what's going to be said.

Did you notice Maisie Williams was wearing a body suit in her love scene?

Speculation time...

Something about the story isn't adding up for me right now. Why attack Winterfell head on? The Night King has proven to understand military tactics when he sacrificed units to gain a dragon. Sure, he might not care considering the people he kills along the way will just join his army, but they're still prepared and all the major players are there. He knows that.

What if the force we saw, which did NOT include the Night King or the dragon, was a diversionary tactic? What if the real force skipped Winterfell and is heading to King's Landing? There's really no reason to fight a prepared force at Winterfell. Your army of the dead doesn't need rest, food, water, etc. and all the residents of the North have fled here. What if he marched his army the other way and is moving South? He could replace the lost forces distracting Winterfell with any stragglers and garrisons along the way.

Interactive map of Westeros.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be revealed that he is actually moving against King's Landing or even the Iron Isles. It just makes more sense to make an entrenched force pull up their stakes and come to fight you on your terms. Meanwhile, Cersei isn't taking his threat seriously at all and with all the major forces combined up North, King's Landing is a sitting duck.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, Bran suggested that if the NK kills him, then the NK wins the entire war, because that means night forever. Just like how they want to lure the NK into the Godswood, because maybe that means the whole army drops dead.

What I wonder is why they have a massively fortified castle that they left to go fight a pitched battle on open ground.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Well, Bran suggested that if the NK kills him, then the NK wins the entire war, because that means night forever. Just like how they want to lure the NK into the Godswood, because maybe that means the whole army drops dead.
Exactly why he should go attack King's Landing. He knows the Raven is aware of his importance, so force that entrenched force to leave Winterfell or split up. Not as easy to protect an asset when you're on the move or your forces are split up.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hear you. I just don't think NK GAF about the iron throne, or KL. I think his.entire mission is to kill the Three Eyed Raven.

I think the Winterfell armies are fucked. Every time one soldier falls, he will.rise and reinforce NK army.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Why do.you think Maisy was in a fake body suit?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I just don't think NK GAF about the iron throne, or KL.
He does if he's a Targarian...
GORDON wrote: I think his.entire mission is to kill the Three Eyed Raven.
If that were true, why wouldn't they take him way, way down south and then to another continent? Killing him is about erasing history. Also, if he sees the future and whatnot, doesn't he know what's going to happen? I forgot how his powers work.
GORDON wrote: I think the Winterfell armies are fucked. Every time one soldier falls, he will.rise and reinforce NK army.
I hope they don't rise up and join North Korea. That would be scary. Seriously though, doesn't the dragon glass and Valerian steel put them down for good?
GORDON wrote: Why do.you think Maisy was in a fake body suit?
Fake? It was her body, it just was in a full body stocking.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was dragonglass effective against zombies, too? I remember it shattered the white walkers.

And no, did not notice Maisie body stocking.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Was dragonglass effective against zombies, too? I remember it shattered the white walkers.
Yeah, remember that big undead bear? Nothing was even hurting it until it was stabbed with a dagger. Dropped instantly.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote:
GORDON wrote: Was dragonglass effective against zombies, too? I remember it shattered the white walkers.

And no, did not notice Maisie body stocking.
Yeah, remember how that big undead bear? Nothing was even hurting it until it was stabbed with a dagger. Dropped instantly.
That's interesting and a huge advantage to the living. Also one the NK couldn't see coming. I wonder if they'll actually play it out that way on screen?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well... I hope the Unsullied truly are "the most feared fighting force on the planet," and they do well against the zerg rush of ice zombies... until they just get overwhelmed.

That bullshit fighting in Mereen a couple seasons ago was just pathetic, Unsullied outclassed by merchants in masks.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:What I wonder is why they have a massively fortified castle that they left to go fight a pitched battle on open ground.
Because the people who write movies and TV are military idiots. Or, benefit of the doubt, a prolonged siege isn't interesting story-telling for the screen.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It was her body, it just was in a full body stocking.
WHERE'S THE NIPPLE?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
WHERE'S THE NIPPLE?
Yup.

"I don't see a nipple."
"And they're REALLY looking!"

Bonus points for getting that reference.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
WHERE'S THE NIPPLE?
Yup.

"I don't see a nipple."

Is that Scrooged? I vaguely remember a nipple controversy or something?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
WHERE'S THE NIPPLE?
Yup.

"I don't see a nipple."

Is that Scrooged? I vaguely remember a nipple controversy or something?
Winner Winner, chicken dinner.