The Little Mermaid - Live Action

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Why didn't they keep her white, like she has been since she was created by the white guy? Someone had their panties in a bunch over race.
Yes, the white people who keep complaining.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Why didn't they keep her white, like she has been since she was created by the white guy? Someone had their panties in a bunch over race.
Yes, the white people who keep complaining.
Playing devil's advocate...

To be fair to those people, the left wing really love to throw around the term "cultural appropriation" when white people use anything a minority claims to have invented (like dreads, which they didn't, but that's a different topic). They liken it to stealing.

So minorities taking white roles in established properties/mythos is somehow not cultural appropriation?

You blame whitey for complaining, but the other side is complaining just as much and being massive hypocrites while doing so.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You blame whitey for complaining, but the other side is complaining just as much and being massive hypocrites while doing so.
And I've stated they shouldn't complain either. But that side isn't here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My rule is this:

Stop

Pandering.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's pandering for business reasons.

The thinking here is that white girls who grew up loving this movie will still go see it. Meanwhile, a black lead will draw in black audiences.

Instead of making movies for a certain audience that will love it, they're trying to make movies that will appeal to everyone to maximize profits.

Now why black audiences wouldn't support a white movie, well, I'll leave that up to you to decide.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: they're trying to make movies that will appeal to everyone to maximize profits.
The horror. The horror.
Leisher wrote: Now why black audiences wouldn't support a white movie, well, I'll leave that up to you to decide.
They haven't had a choice. But how many white people are going to "black" movies?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
The horror. The horror.
This trend goes FAR beyond race. It's why so the superhero movies are all PG-13. It's why horror movies have come out rated PG-13. It's why cinema has been so sterile and "safe". It sucks. I'm just pointing out why they're doing what they're doing.
TheCatt wrote: They haven't had a choice. But how many white people are going to "black" movies?
This is complete horseshit. LOTS of movies have had black leads. Lets stop pretending black people are underrepresented in Hollywood. They're overrepresented. That's a fact. Look it up. (We've had the stats posted here before.) Hispanics are underrepresented.

And white people, still being the biggest demographic, pretty much have to go see "black" movies for them to be successful.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I've seen what appears to be a troll account that's being plastered all over twitter as evidence that all these white people are really freaking out over this, but I haven't actually seen much evidence that white people are freaking out over this. Mostly it's people on the left insisting that white people are freaking out over this.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I've seen what appears to be a troll account that's being plastered all over twitter as evidence that all these white people are really freaking out over this, but I haven't actually seen much evidence that white people are freaking out over this. Mostly it's people on the left insisting that white people are freaking out over this.
They are, but it's impossible to quantify how much or how many people. I found some FB threads of (ostensibly) real people upset about it. Not ridiculously upset. One was disappointed since redheads had always been portrayed so poorly in films, and Ariel was the first one portrayed kinda decently.

The #NotMyAriel seems to have started with a troll. Like the #Colored hashtag was a response to a news-source use the word Colored to describe her, but turned out to be a Chinese news paper.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: One was disappointed since redheads had always been portrayed so poorly in films, and Ariel was the first one portrayed kinda decently.
That's what I was talking about earlier.

This casting, which was clearly intentional based on race considering the previous actress they wanted was also black, is at the expense of an under represented demographic, but I guess that doesn't matter because their skin is white. Who cares that they're the constant butt of racist type jokes that are somehow socially acceptable.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We're so close to solving black culture. This casting must go through.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Gingers have a legit complaint.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Gingers have a legit complaint.
Whatever, they aren't even human.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence.

The third time it's enemy action.
TheCatt wrote: Image
Vince

Post by Vince »

I must confess that I was annoyed with the black Iris West in The Flash because it just felt like pandering. But Jesse L. Martin as her dad (and Barry's foster-father) more than made up for it. Almost feels now like they made her black to get him as her dad. He's been that good in some episodes.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ha, I just had a thought to expand their audience, or whatever they're trying to do:

Tyler Perry's The Little Mermaid.

That's all it takes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I was thinking about it too, and the fact that they clearly wanted to hire a black person for the role makes it a discriminatory hiring.

There weren't even rumors of a white person being considered.

That's racism, but since whitey is the victim, it's not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: and the fact that they clearly wanted to hire a black person for the role makes it a discriminatory hiring.
You're making an assumption.