The Little Mermaid - Live Action

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't think "Girl changes herself to get a man" is playing well these days.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Have they cast Lindsay Lohan as Ariel yet?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:I don't think "Girl changes herself to get a man" is playing well these days.
I think it still exists in more places than you would think.

I've always found the prevailing theme of The Little Mermaid to be about the father-daughter relationship. (The Disney version. I know the original is darker and different.)

I also find it to be the height of comedy how quick we are to condemn human nature. "Oh, she changes herself for him and that's bullshit. It shows women are subservient to men. In their dreams!" Has it ever occurred to anyone that Disney wasn't "brainwashing women", but simply showing the truth?

Men and women change during the course of a relationship. Women tend to be more subservient during the initial stages, while men take over that role in the later stages.

But yeah, let's pretend young guys want to go shopping for curtains on football Saturday and women in their 50s can't suck enough cock.

Have they cast Lindsay Lohan as Ariel yet?

Ever seen her in Parent Trap? That chick had major talent.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That chick had major talent.

She traded it for major drug problems.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not white brunette girl rumored to have been offered the role of Ariel. Anyone criticizing this choice is already being labeled a racist.

Why does Hollywood love ethnic looking ocean dwellers? Do they not understand how the sun works?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know this girl had better really think about this choice. This performance is going to be critiqued by a LOT of women for whom The Little Mermaid was a really big deal. If she sucks, it could hurt her career.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Non-white actor cast in traditionally white role: stunning and brave
White actor cast in traditionally non-white role: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nothing ends racism like forced diversity. People love it!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Nothing ends racism like forced diversity. People love it!
Honestly, it probably helps normalize things. I have no problem with it. But it should go both ways. Also, why isn't she Hispanic?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It's what america wants.

"It really is!"
~TheCatt, probably
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It's what america wants.

"It really is!"
~TheCatt, probably
What I want is for people to stop getting their panties in a bunch over race.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:

"It really is!"
~TheCatt, probably
Me too. The problem though is when diversity is forced upon the masses or shoved in where it shouldn't be. That causes more racism or non-racist criticism, which leads to the other side crying racism, creating even more racism.

If Ariel was originally a black character and they were now casting her as white, I'd have the same problem with it. Disney princesses have a specific look. They are also designed to look like the person who voiced them (at least generally). Making Ariel black means you're removing redheads from the princess lineup. And for what? Black kids already have a black princess. So you're promoting one race at the expense of another. Some might say that's racism in action.

If this was an original property, I wouldn't care in the slightest. However, altering established characters of beloved properties just to add diversity doesn't work out a lot because you're immediately alienating the existing core audience. So you're pissing people off, and you're doing so in the name of diversity, and anyone who has a problem with it, you're calling them racist. There are no winners.

And if you're wondering if the casting of a black female in the lead as Ariel is based upon "best person for the job" or a political agenda, understand that Zendaya is rumored as wanted for the role (as reported above), but look who has the part according to IMDB. This is agenda driven.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: If Ariel was originally a black character and they were now casting her as white, I'd have the same problem with it. Disney princesses have a specific look. They are also designed to look like the person who voiced them (at least generally). Making Ariel black means you're removing redheads from the princess lineup. And for what? Black kids already have a black princess. So you're promoting one race at the expense of another. Some might say that's racism in action.
47 consecutive white main characters before Tiana, and you can't give them a 2nd one?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: If Ariel was originally a black character and they were now casting her as white, I'd have the same problem with it. Disney princesses have a specific look. They are also designed to look like the person who voiced them (at least generally). Making Ariel black means you're removing redheads from the princess lineup. And for what? Black kids already have a black princess. So you're promoting one race at the expense of another. Some might say that's racism in action.
47 consecutive white main characters before Tiana, and you can't give them a 2nd one?
First of all, your stat is wrong. You left out Mulan and Pocahontas. But I expect nothing less from a racist.

Secondly, they can have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 100th one, but make them be original characters. Why do you need to steal an existing character, and particularly one that eliminates representation for another group of people?

But do you want to drop the pretenses and get to reality? Why is this happening? It's because Tiana's movie fucking bombed. Years of screaming about equality and "where's the black princesses", and nobody went to see it. So to try and further a PC agenda while making a profit they're going to steal the most popular story from whitey. Hey, it worked out really, really well for Star Wars, so why not Disney Princesses?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Secondly, they can have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 100th one,Why do you need to steal an existing character, and particularly one that eliminates representation for another group of people?
White people have been eliminated from representation? That is news.
but make them be original characters.

Why? Why should race be so central to a character where race is COMPLETELY irrelevant to their story?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: White people have been eliminated from representation? That is news.
You must be skimming. You missed an important qualifier for that statement.
TheCatt wrote: Why? Why should race be so central to a character where race is COMPLETELY irrelevant to their story?
Because it isn't always irrelevant.

Also, because it's an established property and what your core audience wants is what they know and expect. Remember when there was a hubbub about the Fantastic Four movie because Johnny Storm was cast as black? You thought it was racism. I pointed out that some probably is, but a lot of it has to do with the entire dynamic of that team is about family. Sue is married to Reed, and Johnny is Sue's brother. The Thing is Reed's best friend. They had an obvious opportunity to make Reed or The Thing black, but no, they had to go after one of the siblings. That was agenda driven.

Anyway, my point was proven when a week later they announced that The Thing's eyes were green and the same people lost their shit again. In the comics, his eyes are blue. He, literally, has a trademark line about his blue eyes, and Hollywood changed them because...well, they're fucking morons.

That's why you don't fuck with established properties! People get mad about the slightest details being wrong, but you think they need to be fine with skin color completely changing, which forces the backstories to also change?

How are they wrong for being an existing customer, and you not wrong for taking that product away from them?

Heimdale being black was an issue for people because it's Norse mythology. Not a lot of black folks running around. Ditto for the Witcher show and their Northern Euro setting. Why would the main love interest be black in a land with no black people?

I think the Hamilton play being all minorities is a bit dumb. I also think Book of Mormon would draw outrage if the Mormons were all black and the Africans were all white.

Reality dictates that some attempts at diversity don't make sense.

When they remake roots staring a bunch of white people and Asians as the black slaves, come talk to me about how race doesn't matter in roles.

FYI, in business terms, if people wanted it, they'd support it. That's just cold hard fact. As Daniel Tosh said when he ripped women who criticize that female comics don't make as much as male comics: "You don't support your own and that's your fault." If Tiana hadn't bombed, Disney would have already invented a new black princess and wouldn't need to steal an existing princess to push a political agenda.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Nerds.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:

"It really is!"
~TheCatt, probably
Me too. Why didn't they keep her white, like she has been since she was created by the white guy? Someone had their panties in a bunch over race.