Book and Movie - Stephen King- Doctor Sleep - Shining sequel

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Book and Movie - Stephen King- Doctor Sleep - Shining sequel

Post by GORDON »

I read one of his sequels before... the sequal to The Talisman that was called, Black House. As a sequel, that book kind of sucked. Travellin' Jack didn't even remember his adventures as an adult, so it was like a completely different character and we wanted more Travellin' Jack.

Doctor Sleep did it better. We pick up with Danny Torrence after a rough childhood, and he is having problems dealing with the shit that happened to him as a child... and continues to follow him. The book delivers. Plus, it is a change from King's usual... well, I won't spoil anything.

Anyway, this is a great sequel to The Shining. The book, not the movie with Jack Nicholson... King doesn't like that movie and doesn't consider it to be his story.

I didn't, but it might have been better to reread The Shining, first. Plenty of callbacks and I haven't read it in about 25 years.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

not the movie with Jack Nicholson... King doesn't like that movie and doesn't consider it to be his story.

But he thinks the movie version of The Mist rocked.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I read 70 pages of the Shining a couple of decades ago, and was bored.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, I was probably..... 18 when I last read it? But I remember liking it. I also have never had ADHD.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Yeah, I was probably..... 18 when I last read it? But I remember liking it. I also have never had ADHD.
I was diagnosed with ADD. But it was just so boring. Maybe some day I'll try to re-read it.

The movie was very good.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Doctor Sleep will have moments that literally make zero sense if you have only seen the (Kubrick) movie. The other movie was overseen by King and follows the book.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Doctor Sleep will have moments that literally make zero sense if you have only seen the (Kubrick) movie. The other movie was overseen by King and follows the book.
The shitty TV version with Steven Weber? Fuck that one. King has lost his damn mind. He needs to start drinking and doing coke again.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
not the movie with Jack Nicholson... King doesn't like that movie and doesn't consider it to be his story.
The movie was actually pretty faithful to the novelette... up until the last 5 minutes. I didn't like the last 5 minutes.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
The movie was actually pretty faithful to the novelette... up until the last 5 minutes. I didn't like the last 5 minutes.
King sucked the conclusion's cock.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, it actually was kind of a King moment. He likes killing off people you like. I think that was just over the top and didn't make sense, though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Yeah, it actually was kind of a King moment. He likes killing off people you like. I think that was just over the top and didn't make sense, though.
Thought it was a great moment to illustrate how Lucasian he's become.
GORDON
Site Admin

Book - Stephen King- Doctor Sleep - Sequel to The Shining

Post by GORDON »

Just watched the movie.

#1 point was going to be simply, "Three fucking hours long." Then at the end of the Plex version I watched, I see this was a Director's Cut. I never saw the theatrical version, and I wonder what's different.

#2 point: The length being addressed, from what I remember of the book I read 5 years ago, this was decently faithful.

#3 - This version has lots of time for the story to breathe. There were certain scenes when you could tell the director was trying to recreate some of Kubrick's angles fro, The Shining, but I have to say that seeing them kind of brought me out of the movie and I'd think, "He's mimicking Kubrick." Prolly not the intent. Musical cues are also pulled from the Kubrick movie.

Major parts of the flick are callbacks to The Shining, so don't worry that they'll ignore the past and try to tell a new story. This is very, very much a continuation of little Danny Torrance's story.... and it isn't pretty. Turns out surviving the Overlook Hotel when you're 9 years old will seriously fuck a kid up. There's some truly painful things to see when Danny hits rock bottom, and this movie doesn't try to polish it up.

I don't recall this flick doing super well in the box office, but I think it deserves a look if you liked the first movie.